My First CHEMO

Patty Gottlieb

Monday, Sept. 10, 2007 was my first chemo for 5 1/2 hours. It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Although, my personality seemed to change from the steroids - 5 the night before and 5 the morning of the CHEMO. The steroid was called DEXAMETHASONE (4 MG. per tablet) I NEVER EXPECTED THAT REACTION. My personality changed. (The devil made me say those things. haaaaah)

Thank you to all the kind people for posting with my Kerri. She felt so much better.

The 2nd day I slept most of the day; last night I had to get up from bed and take Percoset and 2 Tylenol (not at the same time) but from Flu like symptoms.

My husband has been mixing drinks with APRICOT SEEDS (APRICOT SEEDS ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP FIGHT CANCER) and BERRIES. HUGS, PATTY

On this site, APRICOTS.COM, if you go into Kernal Products, you can get the seeds for $9.95 for a half pound. Ground 7 a day, in a coffee nut grinder, and mix with drinks or food. i like it in ice-cream.

Enjoy

Sept. 20, 2007 (Thursday)

Had Medi-Port put in today. Actually, the incision is 2 1/2 inches, and shrinking. I only had 2 inches of chemo left and my littlie veigns collapsed. Don't fret. I'll be okay. It's 3 days later now. Feeling better. The port is made of TITTANIUM and covered with galvananized rubber. Stitches are clear colored.

The hospital staff say it will be much easier to receive my chemo, when I resume OCTOBER 1st. Hugs to all. Patty

Hi, Patty, it's good to hear things went okay for you. I had Decadron (dexamethasone) but only as an IV premed, no tablets the night before. Don't know what the dosage was. I just felt energetic and "good" -- wasn't accused of any personality changes -- and started getting tired the evening of the first day after infusion. I also had a Neulasta injection that day (24 hours after infusion) and I believe that contributed to the fatigue I felt for the next 2 or 3 days. Like you, I had flu-like aches along with the fatigue, but that was only during the first cycle. On later cycles it was mainly fatigue and slightly aching joints, not so reminiscent of flu.

When you feel like a nap, take a nap! No one is authorized to call you lazy for a while! :lol:

Aloha,

Ned

Patty,

I'm happy to hear the first chemo went well. Now you know what to expect and the subsequent times won't be so bad. I actually got to a point that I looked forward to going to chemo!? Where I get my infusion we have wonderful recliners, movies and volunteers that wait on you hand and foot. This cancer journey has really helped me to see how many wonderful angels are in our day to day life. I'm so thankful for that. Hope you are gaining your energy back!

Take Care,

Rachel

Hi Patty,

I'm glad to hear your first chemo went pretty well. I too was given Dexamethasone tablets to take the day before, same day, and day after chemo. I didn't experience any personality changes (not that I know of :-) ), but did have more energy from them. Like Ned, the day after every chemo I had a Neulasta shot, the first one gave me a lot of flu-like aches in my bones, mostly legs. But each one after that, kept getting better, I barely had any aches!

Hope your future sessions go alright. Let us know.

All the best,

-Elyse