Pericardial Effusion

ursol

I was diagnosed today with Pericardial Effusion yet I have not yet spoken with my oncologist so I'm learning about this from the internet. I have been short of breath and was sent for a CT Scan Wednesday and then they saw some fluid around my heart so I was sent for an Echocardiogram today. They said I need to go for another Echocardiogram next week to track if the fluid gets worse.

I am trying not to panic but it is difficult to deal with something else. I can only hope that the fluid around the heart is not cancerous. Anyone that has had experience with this and can give me some hope and insight I would appreciate it.

Lilly

Lilly,

I have no experience with pericardial effision, but I wanted you to know that I am keeping you in my prayers. All I can say is that it is what it is and worrying about it won't change it. I know that's much easier said that done, so if you can minimize the worrying I'll maxamize the praying. Deal?

Susan

Hi Lilly,

I's sorry to hear that you've been thrown yet another curve ball. I have no knowledge of pericardial effusion, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some info for you.

Please know that you and your family are in our prayers. I think of you often and I'm sending you lots of good thoughts.

Tracy

Lilly,

Sorry to hear that you have another hurdle to jump. I'm not familiar with pericardial effusion. Try not to panic although I know to well how hard that is to do. Try to enjoy the weekend the best you can and deal with it next week. Sending lots of prayers your way!

Take Care,

Rachel

Darn Lilly...I hated to read this post....just something else to deal with...hoping the onc has some good news for you to kick this in the butt too...and don't be going on line before you talk to the onc...it only scares the beejeggie's out of you ..

hugs...You are in my prayer's sweetie...God Bless..

Nonni

I had this 2 years ago. SOB and racing heart were the pits but once a window was cut to drain the fluid(permanently) I was soon back to normal.

The cardiologist wanted to wait and see or put in a drain but my oncologist insisted that they cut a window so that cancer could be ruled out in the tissue as well as the fluid.

It wasn't as scary as it sounded and all told I was in hospital for about 4 days after the surgery to monitor the post surgical drain.

I hope this helps with your fears, I've had echocardiograms since and everything is fine so no longer have to see the cardiologist as mine was viral in origin - seems it may have started as a UTI and gone visiting the rest of my body!!

Good luck

Geri

I saw my oncologist yesterday who told me that the fluid around my heart has been there since last year and he believes it is due to the radiation. He doesn't feel I should be worried but they will do another echocardiogram this week just to be safe.

I feel much better after talking to him as I started doing research on Pericardial Effusion and the instances of it being cancerous and it truly had scared the crap out of me. Anyhow, I hope my oncologist is right. Yesterday was my second Alimta treatment and my taste buds are sooo messed up today...Yuck. My son turned 8 years old today.

Lilly

Happy birthday little one!!! My son just turned 5! Birthdays look alot different to me now! so exciting!!

Good to know the doc has put your mind at ease....I have not experie4nced a pericardial effusion but I had a pleural effusion that was caused from radiation over 2 years ago. They fixed it with steroids. 9 mths of them and I looked like a the little girl who ate the blueberry gum on Willy Wonka!!

Keep smiling and keep enoying those wonderful milestones!!

God Bless!!

J-me