SCLC New Member

Guest BessB

Guest BessB

Hi,

I just want to introduce myself to this board, my name is Bess and I was diagnosed with SCLC with mets to the Liver on 2/14/03, since then I have had three chemo treatments, I am on Ironotecan & Taxol, once a week for two weeks, then one week off, and then the cycle repeats.

I am 64 years old and yes a former smoker, I quit a couple of years ago, before my diagnosis I never had any health problems, I was very fortunate. When I smoked I never had a cough or shortness of breath. I am very strong physically and have my own business at which I have worked 12-14 hours a day for many years, therefore this diagnosis was a real life altering experience for me, I guess I thought I was invincible, sadly now I now I was not. However I am determined to fight this disease with everything I posess.

While searching the internet for information on SCLC I found your board and have become a daily visitor. I recently registered and emailed Katie B because her dad had the same diagnosis as me. She answered me right away and sent me such a wonderful inspiring email that gave me the courage to tell my story. I think this board is wonderful and it has helped me so much already, I feel like I am not alone in my struggles with this disease.

There is such a stigma associated with Lung cancer and I realize that I brought it on myself by smoking but what did we know back when we started smoking? Everyone smoked, but then hindsight is 20-20 and some people smoke all their lives and never get it so I realize I have to stop wasting my energy beating myself up and get on with trying to beat the cancer.

I have been very fortunate so far with my chemo treatments, no nausea, just some mild diarhea and a little fatigue a couple of days a week. My blood counts have been excellent so far but I realize all this can also change on a dime.

I have not told very many people yet about my diagnosis, only my immediate family and a few close friends, I just cannot deal with that yet, especially with my business colleagues, it is just too draining emotionally and I don't feel like I want to use my energy in that direction right now. I guess that is why it took me a while to register and post my story.

I would love to hear from any other members and hope to be an active member of the board

Thanks for reading this

Bess B

Katie

You are the best, wow that was so fast! You are such an inspiration to me, your Dad is so lucky to have such a wonderful daughter. My daughter was here the other night and she read your posts and was truly impressed and awed by your devotion! She is a health care professional and sees a lot in her work and it takes a LOT to impress her and she is also one of the best daughters a mother could have and I am lucky to have her.

I feel like I have found a home on this board and that is SO important to me right now. My family is wonderful and caring but sometimes you just need to vent with others who are going through this stressful journey.

I am praying for your Dad to have only the highest success with his new Chemo regimen and for you to keep up your loving support and for all the others on this board who are struggling with this disease.

Best always and may God be with us all

Bess B

Hello Bess,

Welcome. I am glad that you found us and have posted your story. Katie sure is amazing, she always seems to know just what to say. Her beauty and compassion just shines..like an angel... :D Hope to hear more from you! And I am praying that all continues to go well for you and your treatment.

Laurie

Guest hopeful2

Bess welcome, but I am sorry you had to find us at all. Sounds like you are doing well with your treatments, may that continue. This is a wonderful group of people and we are all in this together.

Bess,

Thanks for sharing your story and for taking the plunge to post. I hope you find the same sense of love and belonging that I do whenever I visit this message board. I'll be praying for you along with all the rest of us. Blessings.

Hi Bess,

Taking the plunge and posting was hard for me also. I just don't want to do anything that might make it real. My husband (and me too) also smoked for many years. I quit about 21 years ago and my husband quit about 30 years ago. Do not let anyone make you feel guilty. KatieB is right! The guilt belongs with the cigarette companies. We are victims and soon we will be survivors! I love that.