What can we expect after surgery?

MM

Mike has stopped smoking, 2 weeks now. He's using Advair and Spiriva. He's finished week 1 of 3 in physical therapy, all to get his FEV 1 up. His pulmonary function test showed an over all 86% but his FEV1 was only 42%.

The doctor said they will not operate until that number raises.

The questions we have now are...what is life going to be like after surgery? We are told he will have the upper lobe, left lung removed. He's had serious chronic bronchitis for almost 40 years and has had double pneumonia twice, so his lungs are more than likely impaired.

We just don't know what to expect. Is it the norm for people to be on oxygen long after surgery? Will he be able to return to work, and normally how soon? Will he be able to be as active (he loves to do intense remodeling jobs on our home, loves to do martial arts, etc. He chops wood and carries it quite a distance, and so on and so on)

What can we expect? How should we plan? We have a home in Ohio we're working on for our retirement. Will we have to contract out the work now? It's been gutted, but needs lots of heavy wood...it's a 700+ drive just to get there. Will he be able to go the 700 miles (he drives) without stopping overnight?

We just don't know what to expect. How to plan for our future. He's a Federal Cop. Will he have enough energy to allow him to function as a cop? He's worried about this.

Please, can anyone help us know what to plan for?

Thank you so!

Hi MM, I'm so sorry his breathing is the problem. Otherwise he would be fine with just losing one lobe on left side.

I lost 2 lobes on right side and was in hospital 11 days. After a few days, I remember taking off the oxygen tube to walk to the bathroom. I was afraid I wouldn't make it back to my bed, but then gradually I got used to going without oxygen. They took it away after 4 days or so.

So I can understand how someone with poor breathing function before surgery could have problems.

My breathing was OK before surgery. I was short of breath for 6 years after. Nothing really bad, but very hard to go up more than one flight of stairs without doubling over. Then they found out I had blocked artery. They opened that up and my breathing improved 100% overnight. So much better.

It sounds like his breathing is the problem for sure. Could he have heart problems too? Hopefully his breathing will improve over the next few weeks so they can operate. Does he have a stationary bike at home?

Prayers,

Barb

Thanks all. We are going to get a stationary bike. Right now he's going to physical therapy and using one there and working out at home 5 days a week.

Yes, it's the breathing problem he's had for over 30 years. His last attack of bronchitis he couldn't even walk more than a few steps and that was with both lungs still and no cancer.

When he has attacks of bronchitis, they're bad. So, we're working hard to improve his lungs.

Guest hearrean
"MM"]Mike has stopped smoking, 2 weeks now. He's using Advair and Spiriva. He's finished week 1 of 3 in physical therapy, all to get his FEV 1 up. His pulmonary function test showed an over all 86% but his FEV1 was only 42%.

The doctor said they will not operate until that number raises.

The questions we have now are...what is life going to be like after surgery? We are told he will have the upper lobe, left lung removed. He's had serious chronic bronchitis for almost 40 years and has had double pneumonia twice, so his lungs are more than likely impaired.

We just don't know what to expect. Is it the norm for people to be on oxygen long after surgery? Will he be able to return to work, and normally how soon? Will he be able to be as active (he loves to do intense remodeling jobs on our home, loves to do martial arts, etc. He chops wood and carries it quite a distance, and so on and so on)

What can we expect? How should we plan? We have a home in Ohio we're working on for our retirement. Will we have to contract out the work now? It's been gutted, but needs lots of heavy wood...it's a 700+ drive just to get there. Will he be able to go the 700 miles (he drives) without stopping overnight?

We just don't know what to expect. How to plan for our future. He's a Federal Cop. Will he have enough energy to allow him to function as a cop? He's worried about this.

Please, can anyone help us know what to plan for?

Thank you so!

When I had my PFT done recently at MD Anderson, most of the numbers I didn't understand. I do see my FEV1 number, but can you tell me how to read my overall PFT? I don't see anything on mine that just says overall PFT %.

Ken

I had to ask the navigation nurse for the numbers. I still don't know them all, but she is the one that told me his overall percentage was 96.

I had looked up, and others here had given me a website that explained the test somewhat. I learned that the FEV1 was the ability to exhale. The nurse said that that was the one that was 42%.

Perhaps you can call your medical professional for the numbers and what each one means, what they hope for them to be and how close you are to be where they want you to be.

Others here know so much more than I do, perhaps someone else can help better than I can.

My mom had surgery june 07 lower left lobe removed. Recovery was slow to start. Had problems with lung staying inflated after discharge from hospital, they found that and afterwords was good recovery. she worked her way to doing most things again as pre surgery. Still gets winded and tired but gains strength daily. I think recovery depends on type of surgery (my mom had vats) and the person. Pain management is important too. The better the pain management, the better the recovery (easier to rest,less tense) hope this helps

Thank you Sweetie. As I mentioned, DH goes back the 14th of December for his second pulmonary function test. We'll know more then.

One of our main objectives is to be sure the doctors "really" understand Mike's history. Not just that he has had chronic bronchitis most of his life, but the severity of these attacks and the effect these attacks have had on his lungs as well as possible future attacks and what it will do to him. This is a concern of ours.

Hi Mike and Sharon

I had my upper lobe on my left lung removed in September. The breathing is starting to get back to as it was before surgery. I had minimal invasive surgery which went well. I too am building our retirement home approximately 450m from where I live. I had alot of the same concerns as you have. I drove there on a weekend 7 weeks after my surgery just to see if I drive it without overnighting. Not only did I make it, but the next day I built a bedroom in the basement and drove back on the 3rd day. It was a relief to know that I will be able to finish our home without having to hire contractors. Hope this helps.

Wow, Bruce, thank you for the wonderful encouraging post!

I think our main concern with Mike is his history of extreme (and I do mean, at times, it has been extreme) bronchial problems in the past. We worry how much damage this has done to his lungs, how impaired his lungs are and if the remaining lobes will be able to take over for the lobe that is removed.

Last spring, as an example, he had a bronchial attack and for almost three days walking from one room to the next was almost too much for him.

He's had the pulmonary function test and will have another Dec. 14th (because the first showed impaired breathing enough so that surgery was out of the question). There's another type of pulmonary test we've heard of that tests the capability of each lobe. Does anyone know what that test is called? We may insist on having it done.

Thanks!

Hi Mike and Sharon,

I'm going to give you some positive news. I had my upper left lobe removed in April 2005. I was back at the gym in 2 weeks walking on the treadmill. Within 4 weeks I was back in spinning class. I notice a small difference in my breathing since before my surgery, but not much. Now, I had no breathing issues before my surgery. I quit smoking many years ago. But, everyone is different. It's great that he has quit smoking, that will really help his recovery. I hope they can do the surgery soon. Good Luck!

Jang: Thank you, and all who have posted with encouragement and information.

We are trying right now to keep a balance of positive thinking along with rational reasoning. The encouragement keeps us incredibly positive.

Anyone know the name of the test that measures the breathing function of "each" lobe? Still searching for that. Mike and I feel we need to know where we stand with regard to his remaining lobes in order to feel comfortable with his recovery and future.