Frequency of follow up test after surgery ?

Bruce u

I had a lobectomy in September and will be starting 4 rounds of adjuvant chemotherapy this week. The only follow test scheduled is a chest x-ray every 3 months. Should there not be other test like a ct scan, pet, etc. as well ? Does anyone have any recommendations on what test and how frequent ?

Bruce,

I highly reccommend a CT scan at least every 6 months for the first two years. This is MY opinion.

X-rays MISS a lot of things and in the case of YOUR life it's better to be safe then sorry. CT's are the better tool at this time!

With me they did Jan (CT) April (X-ray) July (CT) Oct (X-ray) and so on for the first 5+ years after I was dx.d with my lung cancer. HOWEVER I was a stage IIIB hence the 5 year issue. After 12 Years I still get CT's pretty much every 6 months and always have. Now however for the last 4 years we have been watching the dreaded NODULE's! :roll:

We are doing similar things! I had a lobectomy in October and start chemo next week (also four rounds!). My oncologist recommends a CT scan and chest x-ray every 3 months for the first three years, then every six months for the next two years, then once a year. I will also be having octreotide scans in there, too, to make sure the carcinoid isn't back. I would push your docs to be more proactive. Maybe they think it hadn't spread at all? What did they stage you?

Lorie

I agree with the others that CT scans should be done either every 3 months or every 6. My husband had his lung removed in 2001 and had a recurrence which was discovered when he was already a stage IV, 3 years later. He only had CT scans the first year and then chest xrays. The Xrays did not pick up on his recurrence on the bronchial stump nor his tumor on his adrenal gland :cry: .

Sue

My pulmonologist ordered a PET just 5 weeks after surgery. That PET revealed metastatic cancer in the lymph nodes in my mediastinum (which was not detectable just 6 weeks earlier). The lymph nodes had not yet enlarged so an x-ray would not have detected them. My doctors were able to identify, treat and resolve metastatic cancer because of that early PET scan. They have had me get CTs or PETs every 3 months for the past 2 years. While there was one false alarm (very scary), overall this schedule has reduced my anxiety tremendously. I strongly recommend frequent CT or PETs. They may find metastatic cancer while it is still treatable (as in my case) but at a minimum, the frequent scans will provide you with peace of mind. Incidentally, I was informed just yesterday that I am now on a 6 month schedule for scans. I gather this is the norm for follow up treatment.

Hi Bruce, After surgery and treatment, I remember wondering when they would do another CT. It was probably 3 months after chemo.

I think it is hard to get the arms up over head for PET so soon after surgery. Also, the scarring from radiation and surgery can confuse the radiologist on the CT.

So I think you can ask for CT but most likely they will set one up sometime in April. Barb

Bruce,

I had tests after surgery as my oncologist sent me for a second opinion - he lined up a chest through abdominal CT (NOT fun), a bone scan and a chest x-ray. When I returned from my second opinion, I did radiation and had a CT the last week of toasting.

Before panicking and thinking you need to be tested more often, you need to realize that radiation is cumulative and too much of it can cause....well, it can cause cancer - go figure! X-rays are radiation, that's why the picture takers are behind a lead wall. The iodine used for CTs contains a radioactive isotope, I believe. I do suggest, however, that you seek a second opinion if just for your own peace of mind.

It appears you were discovered pretty early in the journey, best of luck to you - hoping this is just an unpleasant detour in a much longer journey of life!

Becky