Radiation

niececola

My Dad only has 3 more radiation treatments to go. His main side effect also has been fatigue but for him it certainly hasn't been overwhelming. Usually an extra nap a day or going to bed 1/2 an hour to an hour earlier is what he needs. Just lately, he has had a bit of a sore throat. Radiation can aggravate the esophagus and cause some swallowing difficulties. Overall, compared with the three Cabo/Taxol treatments that he had prior to radiation, this has been a "walk in the park" for him. However, I do realize that everyone's experiences with radiation can be different. Good luck to your Mom.

The main side effects my mom had were difficulty in swallowing, due to a burnt esophogas. She had to take a few medications to help, but really didn't clear up for a few weeks after her treatments ended. In addition, she developed severe burns on her back that had blisters, so we needed to apply cream twice a day to that area. Radiation was a breeze compared to her chemo treatments.

Hello there,

My major side effect from radiation was esophogitis, which is a wicked burning sensation whenever you try to eat. It's like a major sunburn on the inside. Absolutely unbearable (for me) for about 6 weeks (the end of treatment and about a month afterwards), but from what I have been told by my doctor, I was one of the worst cases of esophogitis he has ever seen (lucky me :roll: ).... in any event, it did finally clear up and I can swallow and eat like a normal person again!

Radiation was easy for me while it was going on, but I am learning now that everything that hurts is a direct result of radiation. My breathing problems are a direct result of radiation. Radiation may have kept my tumor from growing, and I try to keep that in mind, but mostly I am pretty negative about the experience. There is a post in New Research, I think, about managing radiation toxicity--check it out and ask about the drug mentioned. Radiation pneumonitis is way more common than my radiation oncologist led me to believe, and there are drugs out there than can reduce the chance of it.

Becky