Something we should have been told???

luvmydad

As I wrote in an earlier post today, dad had his first chemo and radiation treatment today. (Just saying those words make it so real, dad really does have cancer. I have been able to "pretend" up to this point that everything was normal.)

Anyway, dad requested a copy of the last CT scan they did a couple of weeks ago. All that he was "told" about the results was that there was no significant change since the last scan. Only slight enlargement in the lymph nodes and a small amount of fluid. When we compared the two ct scan results we were not only shocked, we were confused. The first scan showed the mass in the cavity on the right lung was 3.4 x 3.1 cm and the right hiliar lymph node was 2.5cm. The second ct scan showed reduction in both areas. The mass in the cavity is now 2.2 x 1.7 cm and the lymph node is 1.4 x 1.7 cm.

Dad has had no treatment and we have shrinkage???? Dad says it is probably from all the biopsies they have taken. Does anyone have any comments on this??? I mean this is the kind of news I was hoping for after he finished his treatments. Shouldn't the docs have commented on this??? Believe me when mom goes back tomorrow with him for radiation she will be inquiring about this.

Also, thanks for your comforting responses in my prior post today. I had a meltdown knowing that my dad was having chemo this afternoon. Here I was worried that he was going to feel awful and as soon as he got out of treatment he came back by my house for supper. He wanted warmed up leftovers from Christmas dinner because he was STARVING!!!! He was just sleepy because of his "cocktail" before treatment, other than that he was feeling great. He was himself this evening. I think he just had the jitters yesterday. Heck, I know I did. We will SURVIVE this.

Thank you all so much for your support and prayers. This site is a gift from GOD!!!

p.s. Thanks Katie for putting dads picture in my avatar so quickly. Isn't he a cutie patootie!!??!!

p.s.s. Dad is really worried about losing his hair from the chemo. HA!!! :lol::lol:

Thanks,

Teresa

Teresa,

I don't have any advice as to why your Dad's tumor appears to have shrunk on its own. But it's good news, so that's something to be thankful for. You may also find that the chemo is not as bad as you (and he) fears. My mom was pleasantly surprised that it was not as hard as she thought it was going to be. She felt tired and achy for a few days afterwards, but bounced back fairly quickly. With the exception of the 3-4 days immediatly following her chemo she kept her normal schedule.

Good luck to your Dad and remember that we are here if you need us.

Susan

These changes are too big to be accounted for by slight angular differences in the scans. Also, I don't see how they can say there is no significant change. That would be a reduction by more than 1/3.

I am very curious as to what answer they will give your mom.

Don M

you know, if that tumor is going to shrink on its own, I don't think I would want to bugger myself up with chemo.

Why don't you run it by Dr. West. You might want to wait to see what your dad's docs have to say about the discrepancy.

Hi Teresa,

I was happy to read that your Dad's tumor is smaller then the doctor said it was . Maybe it will just keep shrinking and next time it will be totally GONE!

I too, thought that Harry would get sick after the first "drip" of chemo entered his body... I didn't know anything about it. I'd never been close to anyone that had been thru chemo.

Thankfully, he had a very nice nurse the first time, and when I asked her about it, she told me that some people sail right thru , with not many ill effects at all. She said it was very rare for anyone to get sick while getting the infusion. (Unless they were allergic to it).

Harry's worst days were always the 4th, 5th and 6th days after the infusion. (Not saying that will happen to your dad though ~~ everyone seems to react so differently).

I'm curious to see what they tell your Mom when she questions them about the unmentioned change in size of your dad's cancer.

Take care of yourself,

Nova

Teresa,

Ditto everything Nova said about chemo. My Tony had his Carbo/Taxol on a Monday (was on a 1x per 3 week schedule), was yippee-skippy that night from the steroids in the goodie bag, started crashing on about Thursday night, but was good to golf by the next Monday. Barring any allergic reactions, it's not too bad (of course, easy for me to say! :shock: ) Radiation will gum up the works a little more for your Dad though in a few weeks -- but they get over the fatigue from that too.

Ditto also about posting on Doc West's site about the CT discrepancy.

Make sure he drinks plenty of fluids. If he's anything like my hubby, your Mom is going to have to ride herd on that angle. :roll:

Best wishes,

Welthy

Dad said that he asked the doc yesterday about the shrinkage since the first CT. He said that it has to be because the CT was taken from a different angle. It couldn't be anything else since he has not had treatment. I don't know that I beleive that, I believe in the power of prayer.

Teresa

Teresa,

Doctors don't like to think in terms of "miracles".... but, who knows????

I personally, am praying that miracles are occuring in your Dad right now.

As far as the chemo goes, My Daddy pulled through his Chemo like a prize fighter, no nausea, no fatigue, some hair loss, but that was it!!! I am hoping for the same for your Dad - and yes, he is awfully cute!!! Love, Sharon

Angular differences should only account for a few mm at most in difference. I don't buy what your dad's doc says... I would if Dr. West said it was possible to have that much discrepancy...

I like the idea of a spontaneous (miraculous) remission better.

Anyway, your dad's treatment will make sure it goes away I guess.

Don M

We choose to go with the miracle right now. We will wait and see what happens after treatment. Dad fully believes in the herbal tea he has been drinking for the past 6 weeks. Who knows??!!

In the meantime...my son has been going to radiation with dad while he is out of school for xmas break. The past 2 days at radiation he told dad that he noticed some cute nurses while he was back getting his treatment. Dad told him that if he thought that that the radiation nurses were cute he should come to chemo with him next Wed., because the chemo nurses are HOT. To say the least, Hunter has planned that his last day of Xmas break will be spent at chemo...checking out hot chemo nurses. Leave it to these two to turn chemo into BABE watching!!!! I luv these 2 more than life it's self!!! :D:D:D Poor nurses won't know what hit them. :wink:

Blessings to all!!!

Teresa