chest pain after surgery

mini george

/i everyone.just checking in after surgery.(nov 06/03).i was scheduled to have a partial rescetion but after they went in they had to do a full pneumectomy.it went well except for a couple of glitches.in order to get all lymph nodes,had to cut a vocal nerve.i can still talk but only a whisper.will be repaired later. my wife mentioned that she likes this new feature. :lol: also my epiidural tube got off track and i had lots of pain for a while there but that also got fixed .all after surgery treatments are going well.all tubes and iv's came out today :D now if i get all breathing techniques and pain management under control, i may get out of the hospital thursday.as you may have noticed i am posting this from the hospital.great lounge here.i have one question for now.how long severe chest pain likely to last.glad to be back on the message board or any where for that matter :wink: .i will post again as soon as i am able.

mini george

Welcome back! You're going to have some pain for a while yet (how long is as individual a figure as each of us), but now that the tubes are out I suspect that you will be having much less pain within a very short period of time.

Pneumonectomy is not easy on anyone... Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery...

Fay A.

Hi there mini george,

Fay A. is (of course) correct; pneumonectomy isn't easy on anyone. I suggest breathing exercises, in addition to the prescribed drugs, for pain. Practice slow, deep breathing through your nose, filling up your lung completely with each breath - pause for a moment - then exhale completely. It might help to close your eyes. And use that breathing exerciser (incentive spirometer) religiously 10 times an hour. Breathe deeply when you are moving or having a painful procedure.

Don't be afraid to say so if your drugs are not controlling your pain. And do take the sleep/rest drugs if you need them; that is SO important.

Best of luck to you in your recovery, Teresa

minigeorge

What Cindy said is good advice.

Your chest pains should diminish after all the tubes are out, and if you are in pain, please ask the doctor for pain meds. I lost half the nerves to my larynx, and can talk okay, but often lose most of my voice. Can't sing anymore. Small price to pay.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery. You sound as if you are doing well, and I pray it continues.

MaryAnn

Hey Minigeorge;

Welcome to the 1-lungers club :shock::shock::shock: ; how great, you are able to post from the hospital;

I agree with everthing that was already said would only add to keep a pillow handy to put under your arm when you cough. Helps with the pain. Breathing exercises were extremely helpful, but improvement is very slow. The purse lip breathing technique was also real good for calming me down. I guess its like yoga. Glad your up and about and recovering.

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"