Zometa help

amieb

I was on Zometa for a while. Altho there are no physical side effects as far as getting sick, you do have to be careful about dental treatment.

Zometa is a biophosphate (sp?) and if you need any dental extractions done, you CAN get a condition called osteonecrosis of the jaw (AKA dead jaw). I didn't know this until I went in for an extraction. The oral surgeon said they have seen several people that this has happened to. The site of the extraction can never heal, and parts of your jaw can crumble and fall out. The bad thing is - it can happen at any time after the extraction.

My dentist has me coming in once a month now for a while to keep an eye on it and thankfully, so far so good. You might want to have a total dental check up before you start on it in case they feel there is a questionable tooth.

Hope this help a bit - Patti B.

And we know we are all different. My first round of Zometa I had terrible chills and ran a fever starting about 12 hours after the infusion and ending in about 48 hours. With my second infusion I experienced a few muscle aches and pains but none of the chills. I have been told that the reactions lessen with each monthly infusion and so far I have found this to be true I expect next month to sail through with absolutely no problem.

I have had Zometa with this round of chemo with no side effects at all, I think I have had 3 infusions so far, one per month. According to my onc. I will keep having Zometa as long as I can tolerate it. My cancer has spread to the bones in my pelvic area and he said this is to keep the calcium in my bones.

Hope all goes well with your Dad.

God Bless,

Nancy B

I have had monthly infusions for almost a year. I have had no side effects at all. Like Patti said - there can be problems with dental work - but since I fear dentists almost as much as the cancer - that will not be a problem for me! I hope your father's pain is resolved VERY soon - you are both in my prayers.

Well its been almost a week and Dad is doing well with the Zometa. He had some bone achiness over the weekend but that has ebbed a bit. No nausea, which is great. Thank you for all the advice and help. It made a difference as I was helping him get through everything. This part of the treatment turned out to be not so bad. Thank you thank you thank you!!