Shocking News

JB

Well, as you'll see in the test time update, Col got some good news, everything stable.

I sent out my normal update email to friends and family, and received a phone call from an old college friend. Yep, you guessed it, his wife was DXed a month ago with Stage IV lung cancer. I really didn't even think to ask the details, such as type etc. I think I went into shock. I felt like I was reliving Col's initial DX all over again. There was so much I wanted to talk to him about, but my mind just kept racing, thoughts bouncing in and out, I just couldn't get it all out. I told him I would make a list of all the things I did early on and pass it along to him. Obviously they are the same age as us, which stuns me even more. One person that you know personally you can chalk up to a crappy run of luck, two people you know personally in this situation, and you, or at least I, begin to question the world in its entirety.

It's funny how looking back on it, how little I can recall. parts of it seem clear as day, like they just happened yesterday, other parts, the parts that came when you were in that initial fog, are so blurry and hard to recall.

My heart is breaking for them and the long journey they have ahead. The bright side, well, we've been there done that and have pledged our support to them. In addition, I told them to come here and check this place out. I hope they take my advice, but as we all know sometimes it's easier to lurk than post, heck I did it for over a year.

Anyway, please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as they begin this journey, we all know how scary it is. Funny, good news, followed instantly by bad news from friends...THE ROLLER COASTER CONTINUES!!!! :shock:

Oh so sorry for your friends, JB. It is sometimes so hard to begin to comprehend how this disease is striking so many young, nonsmokers. No doubt you will be a valuable source of information and great support to your friends. I just found a 27 yo from the Exton area dx within the last month or so too ~ an athlete to boot! It is alarming. Might be a good idea for you friend to lurk. Hopefully he will.

Kasey

JB-

I am so sorry for your friend. Seems like it just never stops with all these people being diagnosed.

I know that you and Col will be great inspirations to them and will help them so much through this journey. Hopefully, they will come here.

I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs - Patti B.

Well my first reaction to that news is "OH CRAP!" :x ENOUGH with the lung cancer!! :twisted:

Oh JB, I am so sorry to hear this news. There isn't anything I can say that will make any of it better for you or for them, but you know I'll add them in my prayers and will be cheering them on in this damn battle they are faced with.

((((((((((((((((JB)))))))))))))

I am so sorry to hear your news. LC is definitely out there big time...and needs way more profile. Very shortly before I was diagnosed, 2 other fairly young female co-workers had LC and did not survive for long. Both were non-smokers (unlike myself). When I was diagnosed I had a very difficult time figuring out how to tell people at work, wasn't sure they could take much more. Luckily (very luckily for me) I have been able to return to work and provide all with some hope. I am sure you will be a great support system to your friends.