Getting to Know You - March 30

Ann

We have bird feeders, a bird bath and a small fish pond that really attracts birds.

Birds that we see on a regular basis:

Downy, Hairy, and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Nuthatch, Goldfinch, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Cardinals, House Finch, Mockingbird, Gray Catbird, Black capped Chickadee, Dark-eyed Juncos, Tufted Titmouse, Blue Jay, Indigo Bunting, Eastern Bluebird, Hummingbird, House Wren, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, assortment of Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbird, Blackbirds, crows, robins and a pair of Mallard ducks. I probably missed a few species.

And, unfortunately, several species of hawks and a Blue Heron that loves going after our fish.

As you can tell Kasey and I love to attract birds.

Fred

Now that my cats are gone I have a few new friends coming to my deck: mostly chicadees, a couple of nuthatches, a small woodpecker,once in a while a finch.

Also a friendly chipmunk, a small squirrel and a brown bunny. The only thing is, I expect to have a problem with mice when all the snow goes away. The critters have made a big mess out there.

Timothy 1938-2004

We have several types of bird feeders and bird baths. I enjoy the finch feeder and watching them fight over a post to land on. I put out different types of seed to attract various birds and we get most of the ones Fred listed, including ducks. We also get hawks that feed off the birds feeding on the feeders. :shock:

Because we're on a lake we get the herons, swans, and geese also. So far the herons haven't bothered the goldfish in our small pond.

You are lucky, Rochelle. We've had a heron become a regular visitor here to our little pond. In fact, right now, we have poles going across the pond with just about all our window screens laying on top. Those things are relentless once they find a feeding spot! Scary too ~ in person. I came just about face to face with one. CREEPY!!!! So BIG. I was really freaked!

Kasey

I have several feeders and attract a huge assortment of birds - robins, chickadees, woodpeckers, finches, hummingbirds, and too many more to mention. We also have a few resident hawks which take care of some of the mice problems near our shed. We have a very deep creek behind our house and mallard ducks live there year round. Love those fuzzy little ducklings. In the spring, they think the water on our above ground pool is their personal no-tell motel - they actually come up there to mate!!!

Patti B.

I am so envious of you folks with those nice back yards. I have the standard Florida lot and although my yard is nice, it's not overly large. I would love to have all Fred and Kasey's birds and Patti's ducklings!!! But...I do have bird feeders and a bird bath. My cats are indoors all of the time so they're no threat for a bird. I'm getting more birds now that I have had for years. There's a big black snake that's been a resident of my yard for years and I think he may have scared the birds away. But, this year I haven't seen the snake and the birds are thriving. They love the big oak tree in my yard. A couple of days ago, there was a beautiful owl sitting on my privacy fence. I can only hope he had his eye on one of these pesky moles that have inherited my yard!!!

Oh Ann.....not a BIG backyard at all. It just happens to be FILLED with feeders and such. We have your typical suburban plot ~ that's it. But we border a farm behind us, so there's lots of open space to attract our feathered friends!!!! And don't ASK what happens to cats who hide behind our shrubs to stalk the birds and try to fish the pond. That would be a don't ask ~ don't tell scenario!

Kasey