Just a couple of questions

JocelynM

Hi all. I think I figured the profile thing out - hopefully my history will show up now.

Thank you, Ned, for sharing this link with me. It does help to see others fighting and doing well. It helps to see that I have a future. I had focused so much on this disease that I forgot to think about tomorrow. And the next day.

I do have a few questions

First: What does BAC stand for.

Second: What is the significance of differentiation in the pathology of cancer cells. My cancer is moderately differentiated.

Third: Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to raise my blood counts? Diet? Supplements?

I want to do everything I can to prepare for surgery.

All suggestions cheerfully entertained.

:D Jackie

What does BAC stand for?

Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (now you know why it's called BAC!). It's a fairly uncommon form of NSCLC, sometimes considered a relative of adenocarcinoma (the most common subtype of NSCLC), and sometimes very slow growing. More info:

http://onctalk.com/category/lung-cancer ... inoma-bac/

What is the significance of differentiation in the pathology of cancer cells?

Here's a good OncTalk article on that:

http://onctalk.com/2007/03/20/tumor-gra ... -in-nsclc/

Can you tell that I think OncTalk is a great resource? Aloha,

Ned

Second: What is the significance of differentiation in the pathology of cancer cells. My cancer is moderately differentiated.

differentiated means the cancer cells look like normal cells, so it is the least aggressive type.

undifferentiated means the cells do not look normal at all, so this type is usually aggressive.

Yours is somewhere in between.

Third: Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to raise my blood counts? Diet? Supplements?

EPO was used to boost red blood cells but there is now a concern that it could help the cancer spread.

There is a little evidence (I am not sure how much) that mushrooms may boost white cells and astralagus is another herb. Always tell the Dr what herbs/supplements you are planning to use.

Some Drs are completely against them. Do your research and make sure your source of research is good versus a lot of the junk that is out there.

Hi Jackie,

LOL -- A little cheese with your whine!! God bless you and keep that sense of humor. (I'm the whiny cheese variety myself!)

As far as the differentiation goes, Dr. West outlined it very well in the post Ned referred to. There are four types: Undifferentiated, Poor, Moderate, and Well. The more mutated the cell looks under the microscope, the less differentiated and the more aggressive it tends to be. From what I was told, the poorer types do respond well to chemo, but the overall outcomes aren't swell. My husband was a prime example of a good-responder.

You're one smart cookie to pick up on the differentiation issue -- many people overlook or aren't even aware of it. It's a big player in surviving this disease, along with overall tumor burden.

You get an A+ AND a gold star from me!

Best of luck and warm wishes,

Welthy

My surgery was July 1, 2005. At the end of August, 2005 I was back in mky classroom teaching high school history. I was still very sore, but not in pain and it did me all the good in the world to get back to work. Today almost 3 years later I have some soreness and numbness from the surgery. Be sure to walk every day after your surgery. If you have adjuvant chemo after surgery, be sure to drink lots of water. Hope this helps.

Carol