My Mom Has Nowhere to live!!!

paperback

So I live in a walk up building (4 flights) and my brother lives out of state so when my mom's lease ends at the end of he month she will have nowhere to go. (She currently rents a room). We have been looking for a place but they all have too many steps or have young roommates. Is there any community message board that would list rooms for rent etc. for people in her condition (Stage 4 nsclc) She is in the middle of chemo and I just want her to be comfortable. This is really hard to deal with.

Paperback: It breaks my heart to hear things like you wrote in your post. Someone should not have to be battling cancer and worrying about a place to live! I would call each and every community agency available in your town but don't have a whole lot of faith in government agencies. I was reading someone else's problem getting a doctor's appointment and thought about the media. If you can get through to the right person--local TV, Radio, Newspaper--they love human interest stories. I'd leave no stone unturned to get the attention of as many people as possible. There are good people out there willing to help if they know about the problem.

Good luck, Judy in Key West

local papers or start with craigslist. Its a start! Where is mom located??maybe wee can help find something through our members also!

Hey guys thanks. I'm totally trying to find something through craigslist or local papers but the search is endless and government agencies etc. have waiting lists 5 years long. Mom's in Manhattan if anybody hears of anything or if you know of a message board with a classified section please let me know.

Thanks

What about talking to a Social Working where she is being treated? I think you should get her hooked up with Social Services or a Social Worker. Maybe welfare could help.

I don't think Craigslist would be a place I would go looking for a place for my sick mother.

Here are a couple of non-profits in NYC:

Common Ground

Common Ground provides a comprehensive support system designed to help people regain lives of stability and independence. They start by creating communities where housing is safe, attractive and affordable and then add support services, such as access to medical and mental health care, job training, and job placement. commonground.org; 212.389.9334

Corporation for Supportive Housing

Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH) is a national, non-profit organization whose mission is to support the expansion of permanent supportive housing for people who are at risk of homelessness. CSH offers comprehensive services for those who face persistent mental health, substance abuse, and other chronic health difficulties, so that they are able to live with stability, autonomy, dignity, and reach their full potential. csh.org; 212.986.2966.

What about her church? Many churches offer housing assistance, even to non-members who live in their communities.

Hope you find something soon,

Linda