nosedive

atlanta1

Hello everybody - forgive this long post,

It has been a rough couple of weeks. My father had to have a stent put in his bile duct as his liver is the most troublesome place where his lung cancer has spread. Couple that with port problems, blood clots now in his upper left arm (same side as port), continuing problems with nausea and appetite...he pretty much nosedived last weekend. After his monthly neulasta shot his WBC shot through the roof and he was admitted to the hospital for 3 nights. He should be going home today although he is still quite weak. He is going to be on IV nutrition to try and get some strength back up and to try and get the nausea under control. Honestly I thought we would be referred to hospice - but - the doctor seems to think that all the recent trouble mentioned above just took it's toll. He is able to resume chemo "whenever he is up for it again". Apparently - they think there is opportunity for improvement. Mentally he is pretty down - and they have started something new for that. He has a hard time dealing with setbacks like this - and the nice PA at the office says that it is quite common to deal with first one side problem then another. Can anyone offer any good advice how to get back on the straight and narrow again?

Thanks for the help.

(((Atlanta)))

All I can offer you is some prayers for you and your Dad. I think its a good thing they did not recommend hospice and seem to think its just a temporary setback. There are lots of those with this disease. Since they want to resume chemo, I think thats a good sign!!

So hang in there - you will be in my thought and prayers.

Hugs - Patti B

The love and caring of friends and family is one of the best antidotes I know. Studies show that even when a person doesn't know that prayers are being said for them they still reap benefit - so I'll do that to. (my mom sicced the Quakers on me and look how well I did!)

I don't know how open-minded your Dad is but I used some cds for self healing and fighting cancer from within. I think they really help. If you want to know more let me know - not trying to advertise or sell stuff.

It's great the Dr.s still want to fight the disease; I hope your dad still wants to, too. Depression is tough to beat - I have done that battle, too.

Best wishes

JackieM

Adding my prayers that this is just a bump in the road and that your dad is regaining his strength with the IV nutrition and the nausea is under control. Hoping he will feel better mentally too once the physical symptoms have abated. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers for better days ahead.

Linda