Throat irritation and involuntary exhaling

MarGre

Ok, here's a weird one. I was on carbo/taxol/avastin for about 4 months and just started Alimta. I have been having some problems on and off since about the time I restarted the carbo/taxol. First, I have an irritating tickle in my throat that eventually ends up as a cough.

There is also what feels like a spot in my throat that is sore. Again, it comes and goes. I've noticed that in the 2-3 days immediately following chemo it doesn't bother me. And it seems to subside for days and then come back. The doctor has done scans and even went to an ENT - doesn't seem to be any reason. Could it be a damaged nerve?

Also, has anybody else had a problem of what I'll call "involuntary exhalation". It usually happens when I start talking, it's like my lung or chest compresses and I'm having trouble talking because the air is leaving, not coming in.

Does this sound like a case for a pulmonologist? My oncologist is stumped.

My latest PET showed just two areas that lit up, one in the lower pleura, one in the center of the lung. That one is somewhat questionable as may be radiation damage from radiation I had to that spot 2 years ago.

Just thought I'd throw these out to keep everyone from getting bored! :)

Marcia

I have had that stupid tickle/cough throat for nearly 1 1/2 yrs. comes and goes. If the cough gets to bad my onc wrote me a script for stuff called Tussinex..works great and really helps. Not sure where the tickle came from...honestly think its from sinus drainage or mouth breathing if I get congested. As far as the breathing I have no help for you there....sound like a strange one. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for keeping me from getting bored, Marcia! I've been stuck in bed for over a week now and boring doesn't even begin to describe it! :lol:

First of all, re pulmonologist, don't you already have one? My "patient care team" includes my clinical oncologist, pulmonologist, palliative care physician and primary care physician (thoracic surgeon dropped off team as soon as it was obvious that surgery was not an option; and radiation oncologist upon completion of my radiation therapy although he is still available for consults). My clinical oncologist consults regularly with my pulmonologist and she sees me at least every three months (and more frequently if I am experiencing new or increased problems).

Re your sore throat, it's common to prescribe Nystatin for mouth (and throat and esophagus) sores. I had mouth sores during my first round of chemo in the Spring of '07 and then again more recently when I was on Alimta. I also take omeprazole (prilosec) and Rocky Mountain Mouthwash (aka Magic Mouthwash) to combat irritation to lining of digestive tract (from throat to stomach, etc.).

As to involuntary exhalation, that's a new one to me.

Re your PET scan, sorry to hear you're lighting up (as am I...maybe we should form a Christmas Tree Club? :D).

My oncologist has told me that PET scans can give false positives in the case of inflammation, but I hadn't heard of radiation damage as a cause?

Carole

Hi Marcia,

I might have some help for your throat problem. I too experienced a soreness in my throat that was really irritated when I swallowed. At one point it got so bad that I would describe it as a lump in my throat. This occurred after about four rounds of the carbo/taxol/avastin combo.

I talked to my onc about it and he had not heard any similar complaints about it, but he did send me to an ENT doc. My ENT doc did an endoscopy (a little camera on the end of a narrow tube inserted through your nose...not fun!) and found an ulcer in my throat. He believed it to be caused by some kind of reflux that I either already had or that was being made worse by the chemo. If you haven't had the endoscopy I would suggest that you request it if you are still having problems. I was told that left untreated it could turn cancerous.

He put me on a high dose of prilosec and it cleared up, although it took a while. I have never had it again since I've been off that particular chemo regimen.

I hope this helps.

Tracy

Thanks for the comments - and Carole I did have a pulmonologist but did not see him regularly - just once or twice. Probably because till this point I have had no problems unless related to chemo. But I do need to see one now because these problems are at the least very, very annoying.

Sorry to hear you're stuck in bed, Carole. I spent so much time in my bedroom during my first chemo that I got sick of the decor and ended up completely redecorating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 6/26/2008 at 8:03 PM, blaze100 said:

Hi Marcia, I've had involuntary inhalation. Sort of rapid short panting... or sniffles. These happen to me a few times everyday since I had my lc surgery.

I am curious what causes this too.

Barb

On 7/10/2008 at 3:36 PM, Peachy said:

Yes, I have had involuntary exhalation. It started as little "puffs" as I would call them... tiny little puffs of air that would come from my lungs and out my mouth. No one knew what I was talking about. The doctors all frowned at me.

Now the "puffs" are greater. They happen very infrequently, but I still get concerned.

Did you figure out what is was . 

• 2 years later...

Hello All,

I recently started having the same problem a few months ago and I've noticed it's getting worse. Whether I'm  laying down,sitting up, Wide Awake, going to sleep, or waking up in the middle of the night, I experience short bursts of involuntary expiration. Oftentimes I get these bursts during  normal exhalation. Sometimes it's mild sometimes it's moderate. Sometimes just once,or  multiple times over the course of minutes. I have scoured the internet on breathing issues and GI issues that could cause this but cannot find any concrete diagnosis. This is the only post that I could find minus one more that mentions this symptom. My pulmonologist is stumped as well he has never heard of anything like this.

I would love for someone to offer some insight if there is any thank you

8 hours ago, Vonirish55 said:

Hello All,

I recently started having the same problem a few months ago and I've noticed it's getting worse. Whether I'm  laying down,sitting up, Wide Awake, going to sleep, or waking up in the middle of the night, I experience short bursts of involuntary expiration. Oftentimes I get these bursts during  normal exhalation. Sometimes it's mild sometimes it's moderate. Sometimes just once,or  multiple times over the course of minutes. I have scoured the internet on breathing issues and GI issues that could cause this but cannot find any concrete diagnosis. This is the only post that I could find minus one more that mentions this symptom. My pulmonologist is stumped as well he has never heard of anything like this.

I would love for someone to offer some insight if there is any thank you

It’s been a couple of years since I posted my response and I personally don’t think it was figured out. With me I think it was recovering from my surgery. I hope you get it figured out. 
paula

• 6 months later...

As far as I know, I do not have any disorders other than Hashimotos and scoliosis. I've been experiencing sporadic puffs of air since 2020. Can anyone tell me more about this symptom? What causes it? The doctors I has asked about it are saying it's not a known symptom of any condition they specialize in. This is the only Google search result that I've found mentioning it. It feels almost like the eye exam puff but it comes out of my throat.  And it is not coming from deep in my throat like a burp. But it has enough force to choke me up and little as I speak or breathe. 

I don't know what it is either. The little gasps of air appear out of nowhere, at rest and under no physical distress whatsoever. Started several days after my upper right lobectomy last fall. I am noticing that it is happening less frequently as time goes on and I have greatly increased my physical activity. So weird. 

• 5 months later...

I’m new on here and it hasn't been a year since surgery. I am getting those little puffs of air that are not voluntary at all. Been wondering what they are caused from! I go to a sleep apnea appt. next. Maybe they know.