Quadramet--UPDATED 8/06/08

fillise

Does anyone have experience with Quadramet? Mom is receiving an infusion on Thursday for pain in her spine. It is a radioactive isotope that is supposed to help wth bone pain. The double radiation treatments have been hard on her this time around and her doctors are hoping that if she is in less pain she will tolerate the treaments better (round 2 of chemo is next).

Thanks,

Susan

Susan-

I looked it up on the internet (which I am sure you have already done). Sounds interesting. It says 62 - 72% of people receiving it find significant relief of bone pain within 3 - 4 weeks, much often less than that and that pain relief can last up to 16 weeks.

Will be VERY interested in hearing how she does on this since I have bone mets, also.

Good luck to her!!

Hugs - Patti B.

• 2 weeks later...

Mom had her Quadramet treatment last Thursday. She received IV fluids before the injection. They were not able to use her port for fear of radiocative materials getting caught in it. The injection itself took just a few minutes. Once home she experienced nausea and some vomiting. She finally took her anti-nausea meds when I reminded her that she had some. She had been nauseous from her radiation treatments that ended two days before so it is hard to tell what was from the radiation and what was from the Quadramet. On Monday she reported feeling sore, but the pain was not major. The nausea was subsiding and she reported that she was starting to eat a little more.

Her blood levels will be monitored for 8 week, with her first test coming tomorrow. She seems to be a little better each day, probably as much from the fact that she is recovering from her radiation treatments as anything else. The Quadramet usually donsen't begin to relieve pain until a week or so in. According to the literature it typically takes 3-4 weeks to achieve the maximum benefit.

I will keep positing updates so that we will have some information here in case anyone else is treated with Quadramet.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

It has noe been almost three weeks since mom had her Quadramet treatment. Her pain level is better, but she is very tired. So tired that I called her oncologist on Monday and they told her to come in. Quadramet works in the bone so one of the side effects is low blood counts. They monitor blood counts for 8 weeks. It apparently takes about 4 weeks for them to reach the nadir (bottom) and so that seems to be what is tiring mom out. The doc said it is likely to get worse before it gets better and her blood counts are still going down. They are not in dangerous levels, but it is enough to make her feel tired and washed out.

The good news is that she reports that her pain has been reduced quite a bit, which was the point of the treatment.

Because the tumer in her lung is still stable the onc is going to try to hold off on chemo until after the first of the year.

Susan