Help with feeding!

Amy T

Dad has had 8/10 scheduled WBR and 6 lung radiations. He absolutely refuses to eat b/c of the soreness of his throat. We are trying ice cream from the local dairy, and fresh fruit, but he is literally, wasting away. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get him to get food down? I've heard of a 'miracle mouthwash' that numbs the throat before eating...anyone heard of that? Also, anyone try a feeding tube? I feel like he's just slipping away..

Also, any info on exhaust, etc. He literally sleeps, 18 hours/day with no interest in anything else. In addition, anyone experience coughing up blood during lung radiation?

Any and all info would help!

Thanks

Amy

Amy

Yes. The "Miracle Mouthwash" is great. Call the doctor ASAP and ask for a prescription. It is a mixture of lidocaine, benadryl and maalox and is swished around the mouth before it is swallowed to coat and soothe the sores. It was a God send for my step dad.

Also, it might be easier for him to eat things at room temperature rather than warm or cold. I cannot explain it but my step dad found it easier to swallow things that were room temp.

We had talked about a feeding tube for him and there are several members here on this board who have had the tubes and are very, very grateful for having done so. It might be a good thing to talk to his doctor about, as well.

Let us know how things go.....

Keeping you in my thoughts,

Christine

(((((Amy))))

So sorry that your dad is having such a tough time right now.

I have never had radiation so am unfamiliar with all the little "secrets" to help him out that others will have. Just wanted to jump in here and say that I am hoping that your dad feels better soon.

Keep us posted and please remember to take care of yourself, too.

Hugs - Patti B.

Sorry to hear that your dad is having a hard time right now (((HUGS)))

Is it just swallowing food that he's struggling with, or is it liquids as well?

If it's just the food then have you thought about fortifying some drinks for him? You have probably tried this, but it's the only thing that I can think of that may help him to get something down.

Make sure he is drinking water or whatever he can drink. Dehydration is dangerous and he needs to drink. You need to call the doctor and if the mouthwash doesn't work for him then he will need a feeding tube. For some people, just mentioning they will have to have a feeding tube gets them to eat. :wink: If he can tolerate liquids-- Carnation Instant Breakfast tastes best and has all the nutrients of Boost and the other drinks.

Good luck!

Rochelle

My Mom used Lidocain swish and swallow after radiation. It is a prescription that numbs the throat and helped her ALOT.She used it for a long time after radiation treatments ended. Ditto to Ry's suggestion on the Carnation Instant Breakfast. It is yummy and you can extra calories. And yes, my Mom was extrememly tired. But if he's not eating, that will also make him more exhausted.

Best of luck--I know it's tough.