my past 2 months with Alimta

AnneM

Hi Everyone, It's been a long couple of months for me and I just felt like writing about it here. I started on Alimta after some progression in March. The first infusion wasn't too bad, although worse than they said it would be. I had mild nausea and threw up once. The second infusion was horrible, rivaling my first line cisplatin/taxotere. I had horrible nausea and vomiting, I couldn't keep anything down, even my pain medicine, so I was also in a lot of pain. I was trying to take the compazine I had left over for nausea, but that was doing nothing. after a little more than a day of this, my husband called the dr. for me, and after waiting a half a day for her to call me back, we got a prescription for some good antinausea meds. They kicked in almost immediately, thank goodness. My third infusion we were prepared for and I started the antinausea meds 6 hrs after leaving chemo. Finally, it was the response that they told me would happen, no nausea (except when I forgot my antinausea meds once), and extreme heavy fatigue. I basically slept for 2 full days and felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I had a CT after 2 infusions and it's good, but not great, hopefully the next one will be a bit better. Thanks for listening. This medication seems to have a wide variety of side effects, I remember reading some of you had a lot of trouble with it and some very little.

On another note, I put a new Avatar up (hopefully it worked). It's a picture of the pond my husband and I just finished in our backyard. It has 6 koi and 2 turtles. If you look carefully on the rock in the middle, you'll see the turtles sunning. It's so peaceful to watch and listen to. I just love it.

51 days until my Alaska cruise, yeah!!

Anne

Anne-

So sorry you had such a reaction to the Alimta. I was on it for about 7 months and only had fatigue which seemed to be cumulative in nature but not enough to really keep me down. BUT.....you had a decent scan so thats something to party about!!!!!

The pond is beautiful - my husband and I keep saying that after we get rid of our pool we would like to put one in. Altho then it will be so calm and peaceful in our backyard, I will never get him to do anything!! :shock:

Hope the rest of your treatments get better and ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Anne, I think even a little improvement is what you can expect after only a couple of treatments. Hopefully the next will show more bang for your troubles. I never did Alimta but I remember reading several on the site who did--side effects as I recall ranged from not bad to horrible (SandraL I believe). When I was on my big chemo infusions they gave me steroids and Amend before during and after the infusion. It kicked the naseau out but it returned by day 4 and the stuff I had for that never worked well. I feel for you. That naseau is the pits.

Wow, that trip really gives you something to look forward to. My husband wants to come with you.

By the way, the pond is lovely. Wish I could have one but with all our travels, who would take care of it and the poor fish!

Judy in Key West

Hi Anne. Sorry to hear about your troubles with Alimta. I experienced similar so I can empathize with you.

Your pond looks very peaceful. What an awesome job you guys did!

I will bet you are looking forward to your Alaskan cruise. I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Sandra

I love your new avatar, Anne, BUT I miss seeing your beautiful face :-) How about a picture of the pond with YOU sitting beside it?!?! We, too, have a pond, and there is nothing more relaxing than listening to the waterfall and watcing the birds enjoy it too. NO tadpoles or frogs allowed though. We had frogs ~one IMMENSE one who lived behind the waterfall. Guess what frogs do??? Kill BIRDS. A cute little thing was taking a dip when, out of nowhere comes the frog, and snaps the bird's little head ~ just like that! I know ~ more info than you needed to hear :? .

I sure hope you can keep that nausea and vomiting under control. Maybe the faigue might improve some as well??? I'll hope for that AND also for major shrinkage of that nasty 'C' we all love to hate!

Thanks for checking in with us. And I'll have my eye out for that NEW pic I know you'll be posting!

Kasey

Hey Anne.....San Diego is Fred's (DH) and my FAVORITE place of ANYWHERE! He used to visit 4 times a year for work and I got to go on many of those trips. We just LOVE it. Now retired ~ no reason to visit anymore. Hmmmm...............we could visit YOU :?:wink::D ! Anyway, can't wait for your new pic! And get rid of those darn frogs too!!!!!

Kasey