Sore throat?

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing good, got another question about my Dad. He's been on a break from radiation and chemo for two weeks now but has developed a severe sore throat. I'm assuming it's from the radiation and his doc told him today that it would go away but didn't recommend anything. He also has had an upset stomach but was given pills for that which seems to help. The sore throat though is a killer he says. He can't hardly stand to eat because of it.

Can anyone recommend anything? I know of a few OTC things he can try for sore throats but wanted to check here because you guys are just so good at giving great advice. :)

Just to give a quick update on him. He got a prescription for the oxygen which he's using and seems to really help but aside from that though he says he just feels bad all the time. He goes back in two weeks for a new scan to see what progress the treatments have made. Mom says he's passed out (not sure if a true seizure or just losing consciousness) several times and stops breathing. Has a bunch of cuts and bruises because of this. Thank God my Mom is right there with him at all times to bring him around. Please say a prayer for him if you would be so kind. He's a tough cookie though, still mowing the lawn once a week! :wink:

Thank you, as always!!

Hi Kristi. Yes, I would also assume his sore throat is from the radiation as the effects from radiation can go on for at least a month. So, yes it will heal in time but I am not sure that any OTC remedies for a sore throat will help with this. Maybe others will pipe in with remedies.

I would say however that he should eat whatever feels better going down. Like meal replacement drinks, ice cream, milkshakes, etc.

Has his passing out been reported to his med onc? If not I would do so right away. That sounds much more serious than his sore throat.

He sure does sound like a trooper. I will send prayers for successful treatment and in getting through these nasty side effects.

Sandra

I've found ibuprofen has helped me with radiation throat as much as anything.

I'm also using Carafate (Rx) and Tums to keep the stomach acids down. The past week, to help at night, I dug back into my Lorazepam (PA recommendation) before bed. It felt like I was having muscle spasms in my throat, especially when I was horizontal, so she thought it might help smooth the muscles - side benefit is anti-anxiety and a light sleep aide.

Kristi:

I haven't used it myself (haven't had radiation), but I've heard of a concoction known as "Magic Mouthwash" which a pharmacist can mix on a physician's order. Radiation oncologists would be familiar with it. A number here have used it, and I've even seen the ingredients listed, so someone knowledgeable may chime in.

Also, a pharmacist might be able to suggest a non-prescription alternative.

Ned

Sandra, yes - he was put on seizure meds due to this. The docs say it could be a couple of things, either the tumor causing pressure and blocking blow flow to his brain/lack of oxygen or in fact seizures. Mom characterizes them as seizures because he tenses up and doesn't really remember anything. So many mysteries where this is concerned.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Keep it comin'.

As Ned said - there is a prescription that they can call in. Magic mouthwash, magic swizzle, goes by a number of names. It is a mix of a few things and can be very helpful for any esophagitis from the radiation. Call your Dad's doctor and see if they'll call it into your pharmacy. Good luck!

Magic Mouthwash- liquid lidocaine, benadryl, and milk of magnesia....nasty stuff.

During chemo, I had severe esophagitis and oral thrush. (my onc. said it was like I had had radiation treatments, which I hadn't so he couldn't understand what was causing it). Magic mouthwash did not work, so I started using flavored yogurt, which tastes much better than magic mouthwash, soothes the throat and esophagaus as well as coats better.

The added benefit was that it helped with the excessive stomach acid as well and helped calm my stomach down. It also got rid of the thrush (a yeast infection in the mouth) as well.

If you go the yogurt route, use the kind without any fruit pieces and flavors do not make a difference other than what a person prefers.

Dawn

He's going to try the "Magic Mouthwash". Mom is headed to the pharmacy right now to pick it up! He had a horrible weekend not being able to each much of anything. This board and you wonderful folks are truly a God send.

Dawn, I'll ask if he's eating yogurt as well.

Thank you for the replies! :wink: