Checking In

Gene's radiation is drawing close to the end. Had the last "zap" as we've started calling them to his lung area today and will have two more to the brain lesion next week, Tuesday and Wednesday. Next step is a CT of the chest and abd then a visit with the onc to decide course of action re: chemo. Please hope and pray (to whomever you pray to) for a good report!

He finished his steriod on Tuesday and has been extermely fatigued and irratible... another post said coming off was hard so that helped me to understand a little better. Just got a text from him to stop and get ME a bottle of wine so I can sleep tonight....guess I have to take back his being irratible :wink:

His hair is falling out by the handfuls! We had prepared our 6 yr old as much as possible and she is doing okay with it, although she suggested a wig :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm looking forward to a restful one.

Katy,

Thanks for the update on Gene. It's good to know that you can see the end of the radiation treatments. The good thing about radiation is that it continues to work for quite a while after the treatments stop.

I hope you enjoy that bottle of wine and the long weekend. I think we are all ready for a little R&R!

Susan

Just got a text from him to stop and get ME a bottle of wine so I can sleep tonight

How sweet. As I just advised Jan, you just can't take our responses to your efforts too personally. Sometimes we are just acting or reacting out of fear and frustration that we have this dreaded disease and are dragging our loved ones through it. Can't tell you how many times I've felt or expressed guilt that I'm not able to pull my weight on the things that need to be done.

Enjoy the weekend and glad the radiation is almost over.

Judy in Key West

Hi Caty. Glad to hear he is just about through radiation treatments. I will send prayers for a good report. Yes, getting off the steroids can be quite bad, but within a few days he should be over that. Enjoy the wine and the weekend!

Sandra

Hi Katy - Jumping in late. Certainly hope you got your wine and things have gotten better.

Ditto the issue with steroids. Also it's hard for men to lose their hair too. That got my husband more than anything else. We did get him a silly rasta wig and our 11 year old thought that was very funny. Kinda took the sting out of it.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. It's tough with small kids to take care of, and it's sweet your husband is trying to find ways to look out for you.

Take care!

Kathleen

What also irritated the heck out of me, was not just my hair falling out, but it hurt! You know how when you sleep on your hair funny and your scalp hurts? Like that or maybe a burn! What really got rid of that was I got my hair cut a lot shorter. I started out with long staight light brown hair and now it's black and curly, so you could start a pool on how his hair will come back in! And another thing! I think bald guys are sexy!

Dana

Dana,

I told him I thought bald guys were sexy, I've had a crush on Chris Daughtry since he was on idol :wink: Funny that mentioned that your hair hurt. The morning that his started really falling out he said that his hair / scalp actually hurt...then that afternoon in the shower it started coming out by the handfuls. We "buzzed" his off on saturday because the Rad RN said that it would help with the pain not to have it so long.

Katy

Mom complained that her hair hurt when it was falling out. Once it was out though she was fine. She did discover that she needed to put a little conditioner on her head in the shower so her scalp wouldn't dry out.

The things we learn.

Susan

ps--I think bald men are sexy too!