Getting to Know You - Thursday, June 11

Ann

Since it seems that everything is rising in cost, what have you been doing to lower your day-to-day living costs....i.e electricity, grocery shopping, gasoline, etc. ???

only eating half a Pint of Ben & Jerrys At night instead of a whole pint!!! A even a guy has to have a Vice, Ya know!!!!! This way I get 2 nights from 1 pint!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Since I haven't had a paycheck since October we're doing alot. Coupon clipping, bulk purchasing, trying to stick to the shopping list, not shopping hungry, driving less, eating at home most meals, since I'm here most of the time I've been baking bread, making most of the meals. Next week I'm starting to play music out to try to make extra money. No cable TV, dial-up internet, shopping for sales when making bigger purchases.

Donny

The biggest thing for me after nearly 7 years with no insurance I now have Medicare and even Medi Cal. That really helped because up until now I had to pay all doctors and medicines out of my Social Security check.

I also went down to basic cable instead of extended and rejoined Netflix. When my car started giving me trouble (brakes) and my smog inspection and registration renewal were due I decided to lay it up for awhile and ride the bus. I am paying only for comprehenisive insurance, no repairs yet and no gas that has gone up 60cents a gallon at the station on the corner sense a month ago on the 13th.

Riding the bus has helped me in several ways. First of all a monthly senior pass is only $24 and I have to walk more and I procrastinate and only go when I need to so I am not spending as much. Helps my health and my pocket book. :)

So it didn't hit me quite as hard as it did some of my neighbors because they already had all of those things and the cuts took away from them. There are a few programs for seniors that are being cut that will take away from me as well but I will just learn to live with it. Now that I have medical insurance and am able to walk and enjoy life I can handle the rest for now.

I have been really working at lowering my electric bill and my water bill. It just drives me nuts every month when I pay those two bills. So far, my efforts seem to be paying off. I have been bringing my lunch to work with me (usually leftovers). Our two major supermarkets here seem to have a BOGO war every weeks, so I shop at both and stock up on the items I use a lot. Although I know it seems like a minor thing, I recently switched laundry detergent and found a brand that I love and I only use a fraction of the amount I usually use. Oh, in case you're interested, I switched to Method. It's 3X concentrated, so I only use a little cap for every load. The clothes are so clean and smell great...plus Method products are environmentally friendly.

My LiveStrong program "Exercise and Thrive" at the YMCA includes a free family membership for about 3 months. Since I go 4 mornings a week, on the way to work, I quit my old gym (that I wasn't using since all this started) and I am showering at the gym. I hope that means lower water and electricity bills. I am thankful that when I turn the handle, clean water comes out. I think water is pretty much a luxury and I am so grateful for it.

I'm working again so there is actually some $ coming in. I am trying hard to pack my lunch, we have really cut back on eating out, I borrow books from the library, my sweetie/chef is a very thrifty grocery shopper. He went ahead and started his social security rather than wait a few more years for larger payments. I bake bread. We've got a small vegetable garden going this year - I used to have big ones, but couldn't manage that this spring.

Lilyjohn - no insurance for 7 years! Yikes - that's one of my biggest fears. My sweetie is in that boat - next year, he qualifies for medicare. Keeping those fingers crossed.