Ultrasound/sonogram question

Bruce u

My next check up will be in September on my 2 year anniversary since my lobectomy. If everything is fine, my check up's are extended to every 6 months from the current 3 months.

Along with the usual chest x-ray, my Oncologist has also scheduled an abdominal ultrasound. On my 1 year anniversary he scheduled an abdominal ct scan.

All my test have been NED including the latest on June 10th. I think my Doctor is just being proactive before my check ups are extended. But anytime a different test is ordered you always wonder.

Has anyone else had an ultrasound/sonogram to check for recurrence ?

Bruce, sorry but I like Heidi's response lol.

Why do we let our docs schedule things without fully informing us why and then worry and wonder. Oh, I know, you're not worrying but you are wondering. If you don't want to go back and ask, why not check in with cancergrace.

Judy in Key West

Bruce. About a year and a half before Tom was diagnosed with LC his test happy cardiologist ordered an abdominal CT and ultrasound. The reason behind it the doc said is that he was a male over 55 and had previously been a smoker. This can lead to abdominal aneurysms.

Tom went for the test and they did find one. They went and put a stent in through small incisions in both sides of the groin just like they do for an angiogram. He spent overnight in the hospital and 3 days later was back at work.

I don't think that they would be checking for cancer I think they just want to make sure there ae not other things going on. This Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, AAA as they call it tends to be more prevelent in males than in females and is not related to cancer in any way.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Denise

Bruce -

My oncs (and I am on onc #3) have ALWAYS ordered an abdominal CAT scan with my chest CAT every 9 weeks. They are just making sure there is no spread to the liver, etc. Probably before your doc wants you to go on a 6 month schedule, he wants to make sure that everything everywhere is OK. Sounds like he is being very careful and thats a good thing.

Or, maybe he is checking for baby buffalos!! :shock::shock::shock:

I guess I just assumed everyone got the abdominal one routinely. You get to drink that de-licious crap!!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Yes Judy I liked Heidi's response too. LOL

My Oncologist only visits here once every 3 months and it was a few days later when the clinic called with my appointment for the ultrasound. I could probably call the hospital in Edmonton he works at but thought I would ask here first. I can't recall reading here about anyone having an abdominal ultrasound.

I had an abdominal CT scan in February Patti. But this is an ultrasound.

Great idea Randy. Thanks.

But I also do not want to deprive these comedians from honing their skills !! LOL

Natural childbirth ???? Whoa - that gotta hurt!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I am volunteering to be your labor coach, Bruce!!!! We will make millions taping it and putting it on TV!!!!

Seriously, don't know why they would want to do an ultrasound - is there a nurse available at the clinic that could tell you???

Hugs - Patti B.

Patti - I would not want to be anywhere around him when it happens! :shock: Why would you volunteer to be his coach? :idea:

My names are Buff'eh but is pronounced (Buffy) this one looks more like Bruce

The other one he will name Canadian Bacon this looks a little more like a buffalo but still has Bruce's eyes

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heidi-

I love a good laugh and watching Bruce give birth to twins would be a hoot!!!!

You know, he used to have a dear friend named Richard Priest that we could name one after!!!

So how did your Oregon guy supposedly give birth??? From what orifice??? When my son was younger, he told me he never wanted to talk about the day he was born. I asked him why and he said "because I can't stand the thought that I came out your butt, Mom". Hello, Dad, time to have a talk with the kid!!!! LOL!!!!

Of course, none of this has anything to do with the ultrasound, but thats OK!!!

Love you, Bruce!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Patti B.

I know! He can run but he can't hide. I am sure after his ultrasound he won't be able to contain himself and will come and let us know if they are boys or girls or maybe we can have one of each. LOL :lol:

Bruce don't worry your family here will be here to help you through your tough times! But don't expect me there when it comes time to deliver that will be ugly :wink:

Oh Yeah, I can see the sympathy I would get from you two !!!!!! LOL

On another note:

I asked Dr West about the ultrasound test. He has not heard of an ultrasound test being used to check for recurrence. Now I think I will have to check into it a little more. First I will make sure the nurse at the clinic has it correct in being an ultrasound and not a CT scan.

Bruce-

I am going to behave now. You know the last time I got carried away on one of your posts I got in trouble!!! :D:D:D:D

But it was fun!!!

Let us know what the nurse says..........I am planning a baby shower just in case!!! LOL!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Patti - If you are going to behave so will I.

Seriously Bruce let us know what you find out. Would be nice for you to know what and why you are having such a test if that is really what the onc. wanted.

............But if itd an actual ultrasound can I come for it I have never seen baby buffalo/human sonograms. LOL :lol:

Heidi-

I don't want to behave but once before one of Bruce's posts got me in BIG trouble.......not that it was his fault but he is just so easy and fun to pick on LOL!!!

If it is twins, you can help me plan the virtual baby shower. The menu could consist of things like BUFFALO wings - HA HA. Oh, there I go again, misbehaving!!!

We will wait to hear from you Bruce. Hopefully the nurse just told you the wrong thing!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

You had better believe I will be attending that baby shower! Never know what can happen to folks living "way up north". All that cold and dark, and then all the daylight can really make a mess of what nature intended.

Bruce, please keep us updated on your progress. Hey does anyone know the gestation period of a buffalo? And are we allowing pregnant people on the bus?

Sandra -

I looked it up - isn't the internet wonderful???

The gestation period for the North American buffalo is 9 1/2 months!!!! So we will have time to plan the shower.

You could bring chips........but not the buffalo kind LOL!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.