My mom/best friend diagnosed officially today.

cott01

:cry:

I have been lurking this board for two weeks now. Since my mom (50 yo) got confirmation on the 6th that she has a tumor in her r lung. She was having pain in the shoulder since end of May. She kept saying she picked up Zack the wrong way. He is a big boy almost 2 y old. It was a pulled muscle. Dr gave her muscle relaxers and said heat. Well a month later after a week of vacation popping tylenol arthritis (I feel so guilty) she goes back to dr who orders an xray and immed sends her for CT scan and requests an oncologist. That was 7/6 and here we are. I will copy/paste my family update...

7/15: Mom went for bloodwork and the needle biopsy today. Oncology met with her and said the PET scan from monday was optimal. Large tumor top right lung (still tennis ball size) and one adjacent lymph node affected (the one that drains the lung). No other organs affected. She gets her radiation tatoo on Friday... She will have radiation everday except weekends for 7 weeks (along with Chemo) we find out more about the chemo on this Friday. Surgery to follow the radiation and chemo. Other than a bruised back, she is okay. So - I will update on Friday with the next appt. Thanks for all the prayers and kind words.

And then today 7/17: Update: Official diagnosis Stage IIIA T2N2M0 Adenocarcinoma of the Lung. She got a couple tattoos today but they will finish that on Wed morning when they actually start the radiation. Chemotherapy once a week (Carboplatin and Taxol) for as many weeks as possible to help the radiation do it’s job – hoping for at least 5 weeks. Doc said she will not lose her hair and should not have any nausea since the dose is lower for a longer amount of time.

Dr said it is technically NOT a Pancoast tumor (which is good) being that it is lower in the lung than a typical Pancoast. He said the only thing he is worried about is the lymph node in the center of her chest. It is positive for cancer but hasn’t spread. He thinks the radiation and chemo will shrink it down enough to have mom eligible for surgery in about 2 months. If the node does not shrink; then we have to take another route in order to make it shrink. He said and the placement of the node right in front of her esophagus will cause her to have a really sore throat from the radiation. Other than that – that’s all I have for now. Chemo starts Tues – once a week – and radiation starts Wed everyday for 7 weeks.

Here I am...not crying as much as things are starting to sink in and having a plan helps. I have just been doing web searches and cant find anything good. I just want someone to say yeah its possible this could all go away and never come back. I have a 10 yr old and a 2 yr old who love their nanna. It's just so depressing. Can someone just tell me we have a chance?

(I will post this to the NSCLC board too (I guess)

cott01 - I am so sorry to read about your mom and I am sorry you have to be here; however, I am so glad you found us.

You and your mom have had much to absorb in such a short period of time - crying and feeling overwhelmed is completely normal. Like you said, it is helpful once there is a plan of action.

Do NOT read the statistics on the sites you are visiting. The statistics are outdated and as many here can attest to - they do not pertain solely to an individual - it is based on a big group of people. Your mom is an individual and she has got a chance to beat this. It is said often on here that no-one comes with an expiration date stamped on them!

Others will be along to share their stories and you will gain strength from them. In the meantime, know we are here to listen and help you through. Hope the radiation appointment went well today. Please keep us posted.

Linda

My friend was deemed inoperable - 2 1/2 years ago. Had radiation to shrink the tumor(s) and then surgery. Living a good life.

I ended up Stage IIIb (dry) and had surgery, then chemo, then radiation. I take great pleasure each time I read the doctors on CancerGrace mention that they think "cure" for all but Stage IV. That said, everyone responds differently. And we've got quite a few long time survivors of Stage IV cancer, if it comes to that.

I'm even older than your Mom! Tell her to plan on getting lots of rest and care. I'm not sure it ever all goes away, even if the cancer itself is beaten. It is a significant experience, for better or worse. But I'm feeling pretty good physically and that's pretty amazing.

Hi

I would just like to tell you that while my dad and I were visiting the hospital for his CAT Scan a few months ago we met a man who was an 11 year LC survivor. He had been told at diagnosis that he had 9-12 months to live.

So, in answer to your question.....never say never!!

Good luck to your mum with her upcoming treatments, I will be keeping her in my thoughts for very positive results.

Hi, welcome to the group!

As "ts" indicated, stage IIIa is potentially curable, and from your writeup it appears your mom is getting excellent, aggressive treatment. The fact that she's only 50 is a point in her favor. I'm stage IIIb/IV (which is not considered curable, though it's treatable), will turn 74 next week, and am still doing well almost 3 years after diagnosis.

If you haven't already, please visit cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). GRACE is led by Dr. Howard "Jack" West, a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions online. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here. Aloha,

Ned

Hi there. I am sorry to read about your mom but you have come to a great place full of information and support. . Yes, there is always HOPE. Just take it one day at a time. There are many longer term survivors here to inspire us all. I am sending my prayers for successful 1st line treatment and the possibility of surgery in the future. Please keep us posted on how you and your mom are doing.

Sandra

Hi,

Sorry you have to be here but welcome aboard! Your Mom has a great chance! Cancer and cancer treatments are just really strange some people respond really well and some people don't . It's really hard to call it. So keep your chin up!

Dana