Why didn't I think of this sooner?

natalie

Oh my gosh. It just dawned on me! I might have a connection with Oprah. My neighbors sister was in a reality TV show (hasn't aired yet...airs in April), well Oprah taped her for her own show in regards to the reality TV show (it's a family show, not one of those dating shows). My neighbor says that Oprah (personally) calls her a lot now. I'm going to talk to my nieghbor this weekend and see if there is a way I can get something passed along to her. I think this issue of cancer would interest her. As I start to brainstorm...maybe we can get Katie, Rick and Estrea on there to discuss this website? Maybe we can get the Dave's on there. Maybe Dave...your doctor? I'm obviously jumping the gun here and may not have success in reaching Oprah, but I'm going to try my best and feel positive that I can somehow reach her through my neighbor's sister. Any other ideas?

Natalie,

That would be an excellent idea ti maybe get Oprah involved. She surely would be able to promote the forum and get the group recognized with LC issues. Wow, this would be awsome. Good luck and praying that this gets us the recognition that we need. We need to make people aware that this is not just a smokers disease. Prayers for you, your mom and all of us.

Peace and God Bless

Karen

She lives just South of where I live (she's in Montecito), so I'll try writing a letter to the editor of the Santa Barbara News Press on the subject of Lung Cancer, the stigma, the fact that former smokers and Never smokers get the disease, too. I'm not too optimistic about them publishing it at this point...but's it's worth another try.

I found out at yesterday's chemo that one of the ALCASE posters I provided to the Oncologist's Office was put up...on a door....the iside of a door...to a room no one goes into very often...it was an accident that I even saw it. I wonder what good it does to have it on the inside of a room that no patient or family member actually ever enters. At the risk of making someone angry I'm going to ask them about this.

Fay A.

Sounds Great... I have been trying to get time with the shows like the VIEW and Oprah and even DR. Phil.

I have sent some letters as well as 100's of emails so far but no answer yet.

It would be excellent to have someone as powerful as Oprah on our side!!!!

My friedn, Carleen Wild, who is the News Co-anchor for Channel 3 News, WISC-TV, Madison, WI, sent a tape of the 5 day series Carleen did about her mother dying of Lung Cancer. Oprah returned the tape and thanked Carleen, then proceeded to tell her that her big project is something like AIDS, or Sickle Cell. Carleen did this story 3 years ago, and sent the tape right after series aired. Carleen has since contacted Oprah, no less than 4 more times, and has been turned all four times, with the exception of the last time, as Carleen mentioned, in great detail, Women Against Lung Cancer (WALC). Oprah wanted more information. It seems she is intersted, now that lung cancer "possibly" affects women.

I guess what I am saying, is if a member of the news media does a story on Lung Cancer and can't gain Oprah's attention, but now that women with lung cancer may have struck a chord, I don't want to get excited just yet. It's been 6 months since Carleen has corresponded with her. Oprah stated in one of the letters that she would be willing to do a program on smoking cessation. Not what we want to hear.

I would try Dr. Phil, or Montel, before going to Oprah again. If Oprah is so interested in letting the world know that smoking causes lung cancer, we don't need her.

I was thinking of approaching her on doing a topic on "How to Cope with Cancer". Then list this website as one of the resources. I would like to express to her the stress involved with a cancer diagnosis. Maybe she would be interested if Robert DeNiro or Collin Powell would be a guest to discuss. I figured maybe I could pitch a whole episode for her and put it together for her, she may find an interest.

Rick, if you have some of those letters on email, can you email them to me?

Guest Estrea

The women angle is something that even NBC and ABC have reported on. If Oprah knew it killed more women than breast cancer maybe that would get her attention.

I don't mean to be a downer on this subject, but I know that Oprah has been bombarded from Lung Cancer Survivors and Caregivers. On the Other Lung cancer Boards they really hit on her about 5 years ago and kept it up for over a year. She never did respond other then to say, thank you for your topic and if we decide to further this we will contact you.

After doing all this for the last 5+ years myself, I would say that Dr. Phill would be a good bullseye to hit. Being his mother died from lung cancer.

He needs to hear some of our stories about NOT ALL PEOPLE THAT SMOKE GET LUNG CANCER and the STEGMA that goes with lung cancer........... Well, I don't have to go into what we all need to say because it's been said a 1000 times on this board to begin with. So, I think Dr. Phill would be a good starting point.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Guest Estrea

I am having lunch on Monday with someone who works at Oprah's magazine in a high position to discuss how to get to her and Dr. Phil. Will keep you posted.....

Estrea,

Way to go! Thank you for being involved. It so greatly appreciated. I hope your little one is doing fine. They are such cuties. Prayers for you and your family> Also that the person you are meeting with will be able to make people aware of the importance of information about LC...

Good Luck!!!

Peace and God Bless :D

Karen