New Here

svc

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the board, but have been on this cancer journey with my husband for over a year now.

He was dx Stage IV NSCLC with Mets to the brain, right eye and liver at age 42. The cancer has since spread to his abdomen, bones and heart. He was a heavy smoker and had smoked since he was a kid. He has since quit.

Through our journey we have managed to keep a positive attitude and he has a great team of Drs in Boston that have done everything they can from day one. They are actually amazed he is still with us.

So the one thing that I can offer to this board is that he is a survivor, he does as much as he can and even goes out to work every once in a while. The statistics are just that, numbers, everyone is different and Stage IV is not an automatic death sentence. Believe me, there are good days and there are bad days, but overall we have come to enjoy and appreciate the time we do have and continue on with treatment in hopes of newer and better medicines to come in the future. Our faith in God has also been a great source of stregnth.

Best Wishes to everyone,

Sue :)

Hi, Sue, welcome to LCSC. Has the daily pill Tarceva been mentioned as a possible therapy for your husband? Even if he's been tested for an EGFR mutation and found not to have one, Tarceva can still be quite beneficial for many patients. It kept me stable for the better part of 16 months, and I don't have the mutation.

May I suggest that you visit cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). GRACE is led by Dr. Howard "Jack" West, a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions online. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here. Aloha,

Ned

You and your husband have a wonderful attitude. Attitude does have a lot to do with survival rate and the quality of time you spend together. God Bless.

I too was diagnosed around the same age and smoked very young. Your husband sounds like a strong/brave man and sounds like he has a wonderful supporter.

Wishing you many happy years together.

Libby

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the info.

Ned, to answer your question. Tarceva and mutations are my next questions to the doctor. My husband has chemo next Tuesday and I will be asking him about that, since he is on his 3rd line of chemo treatment. Will keep you posted as to the answer.

Best Wishes,

Sue