Solidarity for those touched by cancer.

ronvrens

On Saturday 5 March South Africa held their annual SHAVATHON.

This is an event where everyone that has in some way been touched by cancer. The Cancer Association of South Africa every year holds this day when all cancer affected people can draw attention to the fight against cancer.

Every shopping centre has a setup where people can have their hair shaved off or for those that cannot, have their hair spray painted.

I had my hair cut off in memory of Pat.

My daughter helped shave heads all day and the queue never got shorter. There were old young ladies men children.

it was very touching to see ladies with long hair just have it shaved off. Such is the determination to make people aware of cancer.

There were a number of helpers who have some form of cancer and those that are survivors, people who live with cancer sufferers and those that have lost a loved one.

I was touched to tears by the support given.

I will post some of the photos taken there

Ronnie

• 3 weeks later...

What my dad, Ronnie, fails to mention in his post is that I, as a volunteer at the Shavathon, was honoured to shave my dad's head in memory of my mom, Pat. Strangely, it was a deeply moving moment for me, and I felt closer to my dad than ever before.