Carboplatin vs. Cisplatin

Guest a.

Hi again,

My father just finished his 6th round of chemo. The first five were cisplatin and VP-16, but the last one was carboplatin and VP-16. The oncologist changed the chemo because he was concerned that the cisplatin was too hard on my dad's kidneys. I'm hoping someone might have some information about how carboplatin compares to cisplatin, and whether switching chemos like this has an impact on its effectiveness (positive or negative.)

Thank you,

a.

I had the same change made during the first rounds of chemo in 2001. For me I had neuropathy in hands and feet so that is why they changed it. I suppose the cisplatin may be better but I am not sure. The Dr said it worked almost the same but less side effects. Hope this helps. Cindy

My Mom's onc said that Carboplatin & Cisplatin are basically the same, but the Carboplatin is a little easier on the system with less side effects. Maybe they use it in older people or people with other medical issues. He did in my Mom's case.

Lyn

The impression I got from my doctor was that cisplation was maybe a little stronger, but like you said, hard on the kidneys and liver.

Being reasonably young (42) when I was diagnosed, they chose carboplatin and VP11 for me. I think that if you are young, and it's spread is "limited" they lean towards carboplatin, in hopes of not giving you a NEW problem!

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

my dad's first round was using Cisplatin, but since he had a sudden mental change, then doctor changed to Carboplatin started from the 2nd round. From articles searching, basically both are the same, but some articles did mention, Cisplatin is better than Carboplatin a bit in terms of the effectiveness of the treatment.

i am on v-16 and cisplatin. was tiold by my dr if you read about both they say they work the same. but he did tell me if a dr's back is too the wall he will pick cisplatin, it's harsher on the cancer. does your dad get his blood tested before they start the cisplatin? i had one kidney removed because of a tumor there and they check my blood for kidney function each time i go....having one kidney they are real anal about it.hope this helps and good luck!!!

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone who's replied - this site has been a great help. My dad is going for CT scans and X-rays on the 20th and 23rd. We'll know the results on the 4th of February. Knowing that others have had their chemo changed like this is reassuring.

a.