Centers of Excellence - East Coast or West or Mid-West

Guest ajr

Good evening,

A dear friend of mine has just been diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. We do not yet have the pathology. Of course, we are all in a state of shock. Here's the dilemma. He doesn't want to continue where he is at CS in Los Angeles and will travel anywhere to seek the best care possible. Can someone give me a few choices of where to go for advanced cancer diagnosis? We need to know what the protocols are for Stage IV, oncologist recommendations and centers of excellence. I realize that everyone is different and there may not be an exact match, but we need a starting point. Thank you so much for reading this.

Best,

AJR

I'm at MDA in Orlando but MDA in Texas is supposed to be primo. Alan here swears by Cancer Centers of America and Kasey lives by NIH in Maryland.

You are correct in that the best place is the best fit for your friend. But take it from me, I fortunately got locked into a drug exchange program early on. It saved my financial life but meant traveling 9-hrs each way every three weeks. You don't think about the travel when you are caught up in the early dx phase but it can be extremely wearing as time goes on.

Good luck to your friend and keep us posted on the details of his dx and treatment plan and, of course, where he decides to go.

Judy in KW

Good morning, As judy said, I was treated very successfully at CTCA. There are great Cancer centers all over the country.CTCA has a website full of info and a chat line and so on. The main thing in my view is to be totally confident in whatever group you choose. People have had success at University hospitals too. Stage IV means that the cancer has spread to another organ or bone. Most patients are treated with chemotherapy, radiation or both. Me- both. There are a ton of options to consider. Insurance always seems to be the biggest 1st hurdle to overcome. Surgery is what everyone wants. Just get rid of it. Stage IV is not always that simple. There are different types of radiation, some so accurate that they can radiate to within a mm. of surrounding tissue. It is awesome what can be done. Good luck in your search. My only advice is that to get the best care, you will have to travel some. It can be a pain, but it could mean saving your life.

The facility where you go does a financial check. You don't have to be destitute either. They make a deal with the drug company who then replaces the chemo in kind each time you get it. I had it for Avastin. At that time

$30,000 a pop. I had to buy my first month of Tarceva at I think around $3,000, then I got on the plan where they just sent it to me every month. Don't leave any stone unturned. I remember the surgeon telling my husband my first visit to MDA: You think you can pay for this but you can't. Scary but I made it through. Now I'm on medicare--which folks who don't know, WE PAY FOR IT, IT IS NOT FREE. We also bought a pricey supplement that picks up the co-pay. I just had such a hard time dealing with the financial stress having come from a background of "not enough," my husband opted for the plan that would pay the whole 20%. Hope we can afford to keep it when we are fully retired.

Judy in KW

Judy in KW

These centers typically rank very high in the Newsweek rankings:

Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) in NYC

MD Anderson Houston

Dana Farber (Boston???)

Johns Hopkins Baltimore

I'm sure there are other - just can't think of them now. "Google" best hospital Lung Cancer and see what that brings up.

Good luck.

Muriel

I live in a small town, but entered a trial in Seattle at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, which is part of the University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. I thought they were wonderful. Like Judy, I had to travel 8 hours each way once a month, but they have a wonderful "cancer house" that is very reasonable and comfortable. Also of course a large airport for easy access if someone prefers flying. I do think there are more options it seems on the east coast - but a number of really good cancer centers elsewhere. As everyone mentioned - you need to feel comfortable and confident with your doctor.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...