Update

tomk

Haven't posted since Tee's initial surgery for the lung cancer but I follow everyone here on a daily basis. Recovery for her has been much slower than I anticipated but it has been steady. The three biggest problems have been a persistent cough, weakness on her side where the lobe was removed, and shortness of breath. Her general practitioner prescribed pulmonary therapy which consists of 36 sessions and is covered by Medicare and Tricare. There is a follow-on phase which is not covered but in which she will enroll upon completion of the current phase. She has fallen in love with one of the machines used in her therapy--NuStep T4--not cheap but definitely something to consider.

Recovery was interrupted on Sep 6 when she had surgery for a tumor on the parotid gland. Tumor was removed along with a portion of the parotid gland. Local pathology favored an atypical pleomorphic adenoma with final diagnosis to follow consultation with expert in head and neck pathology. Consultation also yielded uncertain results--favor benign but results are still "suspicious". Surgeon recommends monitoring on monthly basis and we concur.

She has also fallen in love with a digital moist heating pad, BodyMed ZZHP1414. Bought it on Amazon but when it malfunctioned, a call to the company yielded a new one Fedexed with no questions asked.

We managed to keep January free of doctor's appointments so we could escape to one of our favorite places--Key West--and try to put 2011 with all of its trials and tribulations out of our minds.

February brings Tee's first CT scan after surgery with a follow-up visit to her surgeon and another visit to her ENT surgeon.

Hi Tomk,

I am sorry,it seems unless my senile dymensia has been playing up on me again,I have missed your previous posts.Tee is not alone with her post op experiences,I had the very same issues,however glad to say,things do get better, I did have some residual aches at my scar site for some months after my surgery,pain would be too strong a word,I just presumed that this would be a permanent reminder of my surgewry for the rest of my life,so I just accepted it as a small price for still being here.Glad to report that even this discomfort gradually disapeared with the passing months.Breathlessness?,yes this is a problem,I do get a bit puffed out climbing hills and stairs,but i think i had this problem even prior to my surgery,I am now attending a health centre Mon-Fri for 3 to 4 hour sessions of gyming, swimming and yoga-ing and my breathing has definately improving,maybe I wont get it back 100% but I am fairly comfortable in my quality of health.I do wish Tee every success in betting back into shape and I am sure she will,one day at a time as they say.

Finally,(for now) I just want to say I love your avatar,it is so smart looking,I presume you were or are in the marines?

Hi Tom, like Eric, I don't recall the post about Tee's surgery. I'm glad things went reasonably well and that she's working to overcome things that fell short of what was hoped for. The identifying KW after my name is to differentiate me from another regular poster, Judy in MI. So glad you appreciate our fair city. Don't know how long you will be here or even whether you want any cancer reminders while here but pm me if you'd like. My husband is away now and we'll be gone again later this month but maybe we could connect.

Judy in KW

I don't recall a post about Tee's surgery either - but I'm not here quite as regularly as some of the others. I had all the same symptoms after surgery, but like Eric's they all eventually went away. A trip to Key West sounds wonderful and I hope you have a glorius trip.

• 1 month later...

Tee was ecstatic today, of course, as her lung surgeon told her that her latest CT Scan indicated "all is well" as regards her lobectomy on June 1, 2011. We discussed her persistent cough and received a new prescription which might or might not help. If it hasn't helped prior to her next visit in August, he suggests possibly pulmonary rehab of some sorts. One more to go this week with her monthly visit on Friday with head & neck surgeon to assess parotidectomy results given the indeterminate conclusion of pathology.

Tom & Tee

Hi Tom,

Wow,48 years married?,well done the both of you,I am 40 years myself this September.Well, if your wife is a Frazer,theres no holding her down,expect another 48 years.Best wishes to both of you.

Good Job Tee! Now to get that nasty cough taken care of. I know you're going to Ace the checkup with the perio surgeon. Will be watching for that update.

Tom, I was laying in bed last night thinking I needed to the update today and maybe poke you for a report. But here you are keeping us posted. Thanks so much.

Judy in KW