Iressa NO NOs Part 2

Fay A.

CYP3A4 is an enzyme like Fay said that essentially eliminates Iressa from the blood stream. Interesting

DRUG INTERACTIONS

Substances that are inducers of CYP3A4 activity increase the metabolism of gefitinib and decrease its plasma concentrations. In patients receiving a potent CYP3A4 inducer such as rifampicin or phenytoin, a dose increase to 500 mg daily should be considered in the absence of severe adverse drug reaction, and clinical response and adverse events should be carefully monitored (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY-Pharmacokinetics-Drug-Drug Interactions and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION-Dosage Adjustment sections).

In this clinical trial of Tarceva (drug just like Iressa) grape fruit juice most be avoided

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 98?order=9

Iressa's standard drug name is Gefitinib. I read all the information for patients in the booklet given with the medication. There is a section that is headed "WHAT SHOULD I AVOID WHILE USING GEFITINIB". It says as sollows. There are no restrictions on food, beverages. or activity during treatment with gefitinib unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Then there is a section that say WHAT OTHER DRUGS WILL AFFECT GEFITINIB" and that says the following: before taking gefitinib, tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following: Warfarin (coumadin); rifampin (rifadin, rimactane);phenytoin (dilantin, phenyted); ketoconazole (nizoral); itraconazole (sporanox; or a stomach acid reducer such as cimetidine (tagament, Tagamet HB), ranitidine (zantac, zantac 75), esomeprazole (nexium), lansoprazole (prevacid), omeprazole (prilosec, and others.

I am just not going to have grapefruit available for I sure don't understand all of this medicine stuff....