new Stage 3b nsclc dx start tx next week

Bigmike

Glad you joined us.

Interesting you mentioned your expectations on learning of your cancer diagnosis.  Mine took some time to develop, then while in treatment they varied based on what I was experiencing.  It took me some time to realize that although treatment had many ill side effects, it had one principal effect I often forgot about - life.

Read in to our malady here - http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101

Feel free to ask questions or express frustration here also.  There will likely be a multitude of both.

Hope the winter in Minnesota is mild.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Big Mike.

Where are you being treated?

I am here in Minnesota also.  Boy it has been a great Fall.  Great weather for being outside.

Hope we have the mild winter they predict.

Are you having any symtoms?  How did they find it?

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna G

Hi BigMike and Welcome!

So very glad you found this safe place. What type of treatment are you going to have? Can we help you prepare for side effects?

5 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma and told I had a 10-15 month life expectancy. This doesn't have to be an immediate death sentence. There's hope.

Hi Big Mike.

Where are you being treated?

I am here in Minnesota also.  Boy it has been a great Fall.  Great weather for being outside.

Hope we have the mild winter they predict.

Are you having any symtoms?  How did they find it?

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna G

I am being treated at Mayo. I had an 8 week bout with pneumonia that lead to my diagnosis. Lots of coughing, some of it bloody, some pain. Don't actually start treatment until Wednesday.

Hi BigMike and Welcome!

So very glad you found this safe place. What type of treatment are you going to have? Can we help you prepare for side effects?

5 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma and told I had a 10-15 month life expectancy. This doesn't have to be an immediate death sentence. There's hope.

I will be experiencing chemo and radiation. I have a lot of information but I am sure that I will find the experience much different than the description.

Good Morning Mike,A big welcome to LCSC from me too.Best Wishes for a successful outcome with your treatments.I had chemo and surgery seven years ago,never looked back,enjoying life as it was prior to my dx.I did'nt have radio therapy as its called in Scotland and the UK,so I am unable to give you any thoughts on that subject.What type of chemo are you being prescribed?,I had cisplatin and vinorelbine,was neither up nor down with it,although it did give me a wee bout of constipation,should have been drinking more fluids during my chemo and I could have avoided that one.Going through all my treatments was really quite a breeze,I did find the mental side of things a bit tougher,problems getting a good nights sleep and feeling very down, not least because my GP suggested I had only 2 years max to live (that was even after my treatments were complete)  I was prescribed sleeping pills and a anti-depressant,which I took but only for a short period of time.My cloud through time and the support of family and friends, began to dissipate,there was light at the end of the tunnel for me after all.

Do keep us informed with your progress,you need never feel you are on this journey alone, with all the buddies here to support you and keeping you company.  

Hi Big Mike! 

Welcome to the LCSC message boards. This is a great group where you can get advice and just vent really if you need to. There is a good chance that someone else here has experienced either the same thing or is going through something similar. If you have any questions about the message boards or any of the support programs that LUNGevity offers, please feel free to contact me. 

http://www.lungevity.org/support-survivorship/survivor-resource-center

I look forward to getting to know you.

Cindy