I'm happy to be here

Starkey

Hello All,

I'm glad to be a part of this group.  I heard about it on a FB post and thought it would be beneficial for me.  I was diagnosed in September with non small cell and they removed my left lung on October 19th.  I am now in treatment once a week for 4 months.  The chemo has been very challenging and have been in bed most of the time.  I live alone and grateful that I have friends that at times take care of me and feed me.  After my chemo, I have a month of rest, then 6 weeks of radiation.  That I my fear, because there is a possibility that I might be oxygen dependent.

My faith is strong and I am looking for possible groups and persons who would want to connect and share stories and recoveries.

Thank you.

Hi Starkey,

Welcome to the Lung Cancer Support Community! I am glad you have some friends that come by and that your faith is strong. I wanted to let you know that Savor Health is a great resource that sends you healthy meals. http://www.savorhealth.com Also we can conenct you to a 1 on 1 personal LifeLine mentor that can talk to you. Here is the link to get started if you are interested http://www.LUNGevity.org/LifeLine

Cindy

Starkey,

I once feared I'd be dependent on oxygen also.  I had a home 02 generator for a time after my lung was removed, then once again after my second line chemotherapy.  I used the rented machine for a short time and as I recovered, my 02 levels climbed and stayed constant above 92 percent.  So I went off oxygen.

I've found this pattern consistent with a number of lung cancer survivors.  But, some need it for extended periods, indeed for life.  Do I understand you are receiving both chemo and radiation after surgery?  Post surgical chemo is expected but conventional radiation is not.  Did they find additional metastatic disease during your surgery?

Stay connected with us.  You'll have many questions and we might provide useful advice and insight.

Stay the course.

Tom

Starkey,

I am oxygen dependent and I totally understand your fears of becoming oxygen dependent. It sucks...to put it nicely.We are so glad you found us. I am so sorry the treatments are so rough. I was diagnosed in September as well with Stage IV Non Small Cell. Keep your faith...that is what will help you get through this. The Life Line program, as Cindy mentioned, sounds like it would be a great fit for you!

are you getting anything with your chemo to help energy levels and nausea??? sorry you have to be here but glad you are so we can help ya out!!!