Stage 3a

Debi47

Hi Debi I'm 47 I have stage 3a lung cancer had no symptoms at all went for yearly check up dr did X-ray within. 3 weeks I had my upper right lobe removed at Surgey of removal March 4,2016 I start chemo April7 super scared have 4 4 hour sessions total once every 3 weeks

Hi Debi, glad you found us.   Wow. You are so fortunate that the Doctor did that Xray ! 

It is also wonderful that they got your treatment started quickly.  So you start chemo this week and

just go once a week.  Who will go with you?  Hope you have someone walking this walk with you.

This is tough but it can be beaten.  I was diagnosed at age 50 in 1997.  It was tough but I made it through

all the chemo, radiation and surgery.  I am still here. 

Please keep us updated on how you are doing. 

Donna G

Thank you Donna very glad they caught it and I went unfortunately when they did the Surgey 2 out of the 6 lymph nodes they took had cancer so dr wants me to do treatment every 3 weeks 4 times in total im not doing radation it's to close to my heart

Debi,

Welcome here.  Cancer is scary stuff, lung cancer especially so.  

Here is a resource for reading into your chemo treatment - http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101

Look at the tab "Treatment Options" and read about chemo and possible side effects.

You'll likely have many questions and folks here have lots of experience with a multitude of treatments, so ask away.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Debi,

Sorry to "meet" you under such non-fun circumstances, but glad to tell you this is a great place to visit :-) I so wish that I had found this place sooner. I didn't wander in here until at least 9 months after Dx... It would have been nice to have more people telling me what they had gone through before I had to go through it.

I was also 47 at Dx. I am now 52. My tumor was found on an X-Ray that I requested at a check up appt. Everything seemed to fly by in the beginning, but there were a few small breaks. I had chemo & radiation 1st to shrink the tumor, then time off to let everything settle down so they could get a new scan to make sure about surgery. I had 2 chemos. One was Mon-Fri and the other was just Mon & Fri. We did that twice Monday to Monday and then about 2 weeks without  chemo ~ even tho the radiation continued Mon-Fri straight through for 29 weekdays. After the 2nd Mon-Mon of chemo there was still a week or so of rad before the break to let things settle.

I have heard different things from different people who had a chemo schedule more like yours. Of course even the same chemo can affect 5 different people 5 different ways. But I have heard a few say things like they were OK until the 3rd or 4th day when they got sick and it lasted 1-2 days, and they were really tired for the rest of the week, or really exhausted for two weeks after that. I am sure 1 of the things you will hear is HYDRATE, Hydrate, hydrate! Most people should drink as much water as they can.

Please keep us updated and ask anything! That's part of the reason we are here :-)

Till then, take care of you!!

Mary

Hi Debi!  Many people have no symptoms but thankfully you had that x-ray taken.  Hope your treatment goes smoothly and glad your husband will be going with you. Please keep us updated!  ((hugs))

Been a week been hospitalized twice seizure and severe dehydration the chemo Is to much for me I won't be doing 2 Ned treatment my body won't be able to

Debie,

Well that is not good news.  Focus on recovering your strength.

What drugs were administered?  

I hope you are feeling better really soon.

Stay the course.

Tom

Cisplatin I know of but I wasn't familiar with Pemetrexed till I looked it up.  It's trade name was Alimta.  I've never had either. Mine was old fashion therapy - Taxol and Carboplatin.  

Hope you are feeling better.

Stay the course.

Tom 

HiDebi

I had a Cisplatin/Vinerolbine combination. Cisplatin is a difficult chemo drug. I know one of the side effects is "ringing in the ears" and the damage is permanent. My fourth treatment, the Cisplatin was changed to Carboplatin and I found it much easier.