Radiation

Kimi

Kimi,

Unfortunately, yes I did experience extreme fatigue during the last week or so of my radiation.  I hardly had enough energy to go from my car to the clinic so being tired most of the time is quite normal.

Stay the course.

Tom

That’s exactly how I feel Tom.  Now every pain I have I think the cancer has spread. I will be happy when radiation is over. How long did it take you to get some energy back?

That’s good to no. My upper back really is starting to get sore to and having some swallowing issues.  Any tips you can think of let me know. This is a little tough

I really appreciate your help Tom and sorry if I bother you.

9 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Hi Kimi,

I'm glad Tom can be helpful to you. Don't worry about bothering him, or any of us. We're all here  to support you. 

Bridget o

Thank you.

Kimi,

For upper back pain, if it is localized you might try asking your doctor for a script for lidocaine patches.  I use these to address chronic pain from too many thoracic surgeries and while they don't eliminate the pain, they do reduce it, often enough to fall asleep.  If the back pain is wide spread, ask for a script of Lidocaine Ointment, USP 5% and have someone rub it on the painful area.  Again, it won't eliminate but will reduce.

Swallowing is harder to resolve.  I'd switch to a near exclusive ice cream diet.  My wife had me on an ice cream diet during chemotherapy.  My taste buds made everything unappetizing except for mint.  Mint, for some reason, tasted very good (I dislike it now) and Martha made chocolate mint ice cream with crushed mint Oreo cookies.  She has a Masters Degree in Dietetics and realized that calories were very important to completing a course of chemotherapy.  And, her ice cream was loaded with calories.  During radiation, you may not have any trouble with taste buds so could enjoy any flavor of ice cream.  Just think of the joy of ice cream for 3 meals a day...:-D!

Stay the course.

Tom

6 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Kimi,

For upper back pain, if it is localized you might try asking your doctor for a script for lidocaine patches.  I use these to address chronic pain from too many thoracic surgeries and while they don't eliminate the pain, they do reduce it, often enough to fall asleep.  If the back pain is wide spread, ask for a script of Lidocaine Ointment, USP 5% and have someone rub it on the painful area.  Again, it won't eliminate but will reduce.

Swallowing is harder to resolve.  I'd switch to a near exclusive ice cream diet.  My wife had me on an ice cream diet during chemotherapy.  My taste buds made everything unappetizing except for mint.  Mint, for some reason, tasted very good (I dislike it now) and Martha made chocolate mint ice cream with crushed mint Oreo cookies.  She has a Masters Degree in Dietetics and realized that calories were very important to completing a course of chemotherapy.  And, her ice cream was loaded with calories.  During radiation, you may not have any trouble with taste buds so could enjoy any flavor of ice cream.  Just think of the joy of ice cream for 3 meals a day...:-D!

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for the info!  Hopefully I will be as good as new in a few weeks!  

On 10/12/2017 at 6:17 AM, Tom Galli said:

Kimi,

Unfortunately, yes I did experience extreme fatigue during the last week or so of my radiation.  I hardly had enough energy to go from my car to the clinic so being tired most of the time is quite normal.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Tom ive had trouble getting into this forum for the last 6 months and before that it was easy and i got notifications but i dont now so i thought maybe there was an app for lungevity but not in play store because ive always used tapatalk and a msg comes up to press on this browser and then im directed so if you see this can you let me know please ...thanks Mally..

My scan after chemo was clear and ive just recently had the 6 month scan and i have 2 lymph nodes are slightly enlarged from last scan in the upper chest area and that was my gp giving me results and he said when i see my oncologist next week that i will be told i need more treatment so anyone got any ideas what treatment ? Thanks ..Mally..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mally,

Thank you for alerting us to this! Our offices are closed through January 1, but I will investigate as soon as everyone returns on January 2, 2018.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived