Breathing problems

Kimi

I have been done with radiation since Dec12, 2017.  I am now starting my fifth week of Prednisone and still have shortness of breath.  Has anyone experienced this?

Kimi

No, my shortness of breath has been taken care of with 7-10 days of Prednisone. Just getting over another bout with it. This wasn't caused by radiation, but by my simply getting a virus that caused a COPD flare up. Do you have COPD or asthma? That could be the problem. I know from another forum that some people with COPD have to take Prednisone on a regular basis. Also, do you have an infection or arthritis? Something that would cause inflammation? My Pulmonologist told me last visit that inflammation anywhere in our body will cause inflammation in our lungs because everything passes through our lungs. Hope you get to feeling better soon. 

Judy M

Thank you Judy.  I go back to my doctors in Texas June 11th so hopefully I will have answers.  I do not have COPD and did very well after my lobectomy.  I think somehow my breathing was worse after radiation.  I finish the prednisone the first week of June also.  I have lots of questions for this visit!  I am grateful I am still here but I do hope my breathing improves.  Seems I rant about it a lot! lol.  I am hoping to get off prednisone.  My face is very swollen!

Kimi

Don't blame you for ranting at all. I wouldn't want to take Prednisone long term either. This latest flare up of my COPD I was told to use oxygen if my O2 goes below 90. Have never had to use oxygen before and it doesn't make me happy. But thankful to have it around if I need it. Have no experience with lobectomy so don't know how that could effect your breathing. But lots of people on here do, so I'm sure someone will step up and share shortly. I did have some breathing problems after radiation, but like I said, a short course of Prednisone took care of it. 

Judy M

I am glad yours was with a short course.  I will be glad to be done with it. Thanks for the response.

Kimi,

Did your docs ever figure out what is causing you shortness of breath, is it from radiation? My mom's shortness of breath came on rapidly. It turns out it's pneumonitis with some infection. Because she's on immunotherapy, they only prescribed 2 quick bursts of prednisone. That didn't help, so they paused the immunotherapy and now she's been on prednisone for 3 weeks. Still no major changes to speak of. Depending on what's causing your shortness of breath, it may take awhile to get better.

Steff

Glad they figured out what's going on with your mom. Hope she gets better and back to her immunotherapy schedule soon. 

Judy M

On 4/29/2018 at 7:07 AM, Steff said:

Kimi,

Did your docs ever figure out what is causing you shortness of breath, is it from radiation? My mom's shortness of breath came on rapidly. It turns out it's pneumonitis with some infection. Because she's on immunotherapy, they only prescribed 2 quick bursts of prednisone. That didn't help, so they paused the immunotherapy and now she's been on prednisone for 3 weeks. Still no major changes to speak of. Depending on what's causing your shortness of breath, it may take awhile to get better.

The same as your mom’s,  pneumonitis with infection.  I look like a Humpty Dumpty from all the Prednisone! lol!  Hopefully this to shall pass.

Archived