It's My Dad, Stage IV

KevinG

Hi People!

I'm Kevin. I've been in kind of a daze today. My folks told me, last night, Dad has has Stage IV lung cancer... but it is not in his lungs. I can't say it comes as a total shock. In the last two-ish years he's had a lobectomy, followed by a appendectomy. Then over this past summer, his left leg was amputated a bit below the knee. He's been living in his wheelchair since then; he said he sleeps in it. (heavy sigh) Now, the cancer is, from what understand, like pushing its way to the skins surface around his groin. So... yikes. He's 77 and lives with Mom. My step-sister lives, literally, across the street from them. So that's totally good! He's lucky to have all the help he is getting with home-health nurses, physical therapy and the amazing guy working with Dad who is constructing his prothetic. We live about 1400 miles away from them. I can't be there right now, so I find myself here... .... ...

Peace. Love. Laughter. 

Hi Kevin, no wonder you are in a daze!  Your dad has some serious issues and you can't be there. It sounds like he is getting lots of support, which is a good thing. Is he still being treated for the cancer?  Do you have questions we can help you with? Are there other ways we can support you?  A lot for Forum members have been in similar situations with parents and I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of them. You're not alone in this.  

Bridget O

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!! Thank you! 🙏

Dad just went back in the hospital. He’s had some sores around his groin, they had become infected. (Heavy sigh) Yesterday, they found even more under the surface. They put him on antibiotics. We will know more Monday. (It’s really hard to hear my mom cry.) 

I am planning to see my folks for Christmas. My fear is that it may be too late. (Monday, we’ll know more Monday.) I’m trying to keep a straight head.

I feel alone. 

Hi Kevin,

I’m very sorry to hear about your dad’s latest troubles, but hopeful that he’ll regain some mobility with this prothetic.

you mention he has stage IV lung cancer, but it’s not in his lung? Does that mean treatment cleared it from his lungs but now it’s Mets to other areas? Also, what caused the need to amputate?

thank you!!

sandy

Hi Sandy.

Yes, the cancer metasized. It is not in any major organs, but in his lymph nodes. It started as lung cancer; after having a lobectomy, yeah, his lungs are clear. As far as the amputation, there was just no circulation in this leg. 

Update: Dad’s home and taking oral antibiotics for the seven different bacterial infections decided to pick-up. 🤷‍♂️  

I’m going home for Christmas! I’m happy about that!

✌️❤️😂 

Hi Sandy.

Yes, the cancer metasized. It is not in any major organs, but in his lymph nodes. It started as lung cancer; after having a lobectomy, yeah, his lungs are clear. As far as the amputation, there was just no circulation in this leg. 

Update: Dad’s home and taking oral antibiotics for the seven different bacterial infections decided to pick-up. 🤷‍♂️  

I’m going home for Christmas! I’m happy about that!

✌️❤️😂 

Archived