Lung Nodules Found Should I be worried?

lifetime76

Back in June, I had a CT scan because I have been having pain on my right side. It felt like I had something stuck in my ribs. They didn't find what was causing my pain, but they did find a solitary lung nodule in my right lung that was 3 mm and recommended a repeat CT scan in a year. My primary physician decided to give me a CT scan sooner than that because I used to smoke, so I had one this past Friday. I was truly expecting the CT scan not to show much of anything. I thought the nodule would be gone. However, the CT scan showed that I had multiple sub-centimeter pleural-based nodules bi-laterally. The largest measures 6x4 mm. The CT scan also found multiple mediastinal lymph nodes. It did not find any groundglass opacity, effusion, or lymphdenopathy . 

I am worried that I have more nodules appear in such a short time, and the one doubled in size. Could they still be benign? I don't see the doctor until Monday. I still have this pain in my side too, it has never went away. I can't get anyone to take me seriously about it. The pain starts just under my right rib cage and goes all the way around to my back. It is sore to the touch. Could it be related somehow?

lifetime,

I had a very large tumor in my lung when diagnosed.  So large that it almost blocked the bronchus of my right lung.  I didn't feel any pain.  Lung cancer is normally not painful unless it metastasizes to bone or the spine. So I'm not sure the nodules you have are causing your pain. Even with the doubling in size, the largest reported nodule is still pretty small.  It is concerning but small.  I have a long history of CT scans and I still get reports of nodules in my lung and cysts in my liver.  I track them on a spreadsheet to keep the worry factor in check but I completely understand you concern.  My nodules even change size!  Speaking of nodules, here is my go to resource on pulmonary nodules. You can see many things cause them and few are cancer.

Yes your nodules could be benign. The largest one is likely too small to biopsy so you'll likely be asked to wait perhaps 4 to 6 months for a repeat scan.  I know, waiting is a pain -- we have a special name for it: scaziety.  Many spell it with an x but my spelling is the title of a book.  I was so distraught waiting for scans and results and etcetera, I thought a book might help me cope!

On the pain, if it is sore to touch, I'd venture it is not likely lung cancer related.  But, I'm no doctor so don't take my word for it.

Welcome here.  Read about us.  Hopefully, this nodule thing will disappear.  They do disappear and then reappear -- maddening! 

Stay the course.

Tom 

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, lifetime76 said:

Back in June, I had a CT scan because I have been having pain on my right side. It felt like I had something stuck in my ribs. They didn't find what was causing my pain, but they did find a solitary lung nodule in my right lung that was 3 mm and recommended a repeat CT scan in a year. My primary physician decided to give me a CT scan sooner than that because I used to smoke, so I had one this past Friday. I was truly expecting the CT scan not to show much of anything. I thought the nodule would be gone. However, the CT scan showed that I had multiple sub-centimeter pleural-based nodules bi-laterally. The largest measures 6x4 mm. The CT scan also found multiple mediastinal lymph nodes. It did not find any groundglass opacity, effusion, or lymphdenopathy . 

I am worried that I have more nodules appear in such a short time, and the one doubled in size. Could they still be benign? I don't see the doctor until Monday. I still have this pain in my side too, it has never went away. I can't get anyone to take me seriously about it. The pain starts just under my right rib cage and goes all the way around to my back. It is sore to the touch. Could it be related somehow?

until you get a PET scan and biopsy cancer cannot be diagnosed at that point

• 1 year later...

Hello I had this same issue when I had my follow up CT scan last week.. I'm a year out in remission. I had to right lobectomy and then chemotherapy. My tumor was staged 1b mixed non and small cell carcinoma/adenocarcinoma. I had bronchitis about two weeks ago and just can't seem to shake the cough and shortness of breath.. My CT scan last week shows a 3mm nodule in the same lung so at this point it's just a wait and see game .I go back in June for a follow up  so hopefully it will be gone or at least no growth... the scanxiety is a real thing...

I have pain under my right rib too. I have a fractured rib in the back but the rib then wraps around and connects to sternum. My chiropractor said costocondraitis. Makes sense. It’s inflammation of cartilage. Ibuprofen helps. Now it seems to be nerve pain so also taking gamapentin. So far not much relief!  I hope someone takes you seriously about your pain

Archived