Pulmonary Rehab.

Barbara

Anyone have any input on just how beneficial this program is when dealing with periodic shortness of breath and a slight cough? I do use an inhaler which works like a charm - even Hall cough drops help. My O2 reading is 96 (very normal) and my lungs sound pretty good, and my Markers are normal, and the tumors in my lymphs seem to be improving with Taxotere. My Onc is open to my suggestion of giving it a try but I wanted to get some input from my buddies on this board. Perhaps it could help improve my quality of life???? Improve my stamina and help me get off of some of my "aides".

Off the topic, I wanted to comment on some of the other postings on this board regarding Oncologists and how they view this dease with their patients. My Onc (bless him) has told me from the get-go that I have to look at this disease as a chronic condition - which may require treatment on and off for as long as it takes. It is certainly more comforting than some of the other Onc statements that I have read on this board. And, I believe it - right down to my toes. Nice way of putting it, don't you think.

Peace and blessings to you all,

Barbara

I don't know anything about the pulmonary treatments, but I wanted to comment on your onc's statements.

I LOVE that statement. So many doctors seem to have built walls up to protect themselves, but don't realize that those distant attitudes and insensitive comments are so damaging. At times doctors don't realize how they are hurting a cancer patient emotionally.

My husband and I have seen 4 doctors. The first one my husband decided not to stick with because he didn't like the fact that it seemed like he gave up before even starting. When he came to give us the Dx, he just grabbed by husband's hand, held it tightly and said "I am so sorry, it's SCLC, it's incurable. I wish you the best of luck." It was so disheartening we went home feeling like my husband would be dead by morning. His third Onc choice barely talked to him, treated him like it was annoying to him to have questions asked of him, he should just be trusted, not to mention he spent half the visit answering pages and phone calls and ignoring my husband. He was too busy, and didn't care about him as a human being with feelings and a need for compassion.

Carleen, keep looking. I go to a Cancer Center in NJ that has a whole support system for the patients. It has a mind, body center that give free weekly yoga, about 12 support groups and just about the best group of people. There are 7 Onc there and I am on my second one because I felt that #1 Onc was a little to conservative and treated me to "assembly line". Just as this disease is part of my life, so are all of the programs I attend. I even convinced them to start a new group meeting 2x/month starting May which is "Ongoing Treatment Support Group" to help those of us that are in it for the long haul.

Good luck and keep at it. You have GOT to find the right doctor with the right attitude - it makes all of the difference to both you and your husband.

Blessings,

Barbara

I don't know much about the pulmonary rehab. Although, like you, I would like to know more. My dad has been experiencing shortness of breath. It seems more lately. Although the tumor has shrunk 60% so far, he still has had some trouble breathing. We believe this is from the chemo. If you find out anything more about rehab...please pass it along.

As far as doctors go....We couldn't ask for better. His oncologist and staff at SI University Hospital have been awesome. The never talk number or statistics. The have told him from the first day that they will treat him as long as he wants to be treated. They cannot make promises...but they will do their part. They too are treating this as a chronic condition. I think that this is the best approach.

...just my 2 cents.... :)

Good luck...God Bless!

-junior

Go for it! There are programs for people with Emphysema if you have that problem but also after lung surgery . One of the founders of ALCASE wrote on rehab after lung cancer surgery and I got a copy. His work was brought up at doctors conferences. I got a copy through ALCASE. He also said that water exercise is really good to build up lung capacity. Look at David . He rides in bike races with one lung, obviously he has built up some lung capacity.

Hi

Funny you should ask about Pulmonary Rehab. Since I have this miserable radiation pneumonitis and have to take prednisone, I hardly get around very much. The pulmonary doctor is concerned about my muscles breaking down and is about ready to send me to Pulonary Rehab. He tells me that some of his other patients go through it and do so well that when their time is done they sign up with a gym to stay toned.

A dear friend of mine has emphysema and is on oxygen 24/7. She is currently going to Pumonary Rehab. They started her out very slowly doing stretches. Now she is riding a bike and walking a treadmill. This is great since she had been wheelchair bound.

Good Luck and God Bless

Dear Barbara,

If you have an opportunity, I would definitely encourage you to do the Pulmonary Rehab Program. You would be closely monitored and encouraged to keep improving in small increments. Sometimes a formalized program is needed to keep us motivated and working within the best perameters...so that we don't overdo, then get discouraged, then quit or do some kind of damage we should have avoided.

Wishing you the best of Easy Breaths! 8)