Introduction family member of someone with cancer

My name is Danielle. My mom has stage 3 lung cancer. Her cancer is inoperable. It's in the neck at the the bottom top part of right lung and there is another spot in the lower right lung too. I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around this. I came here to this site to gain clarity of some sort.hopefully you guys can help. Thanks.

Hi Danielle.  I’m sorry to hear about your moms diagnosis.  A cancer DX is flooring.  I’ve been through it with my dad and I recently went through it.  Has your mom had a biopsy to confirm the cancer and what type it is?  Any biomarker testing?  There are lots of new treatments available that make the disease manageable.  

Hey Danielle,

As a fellow daughter/care advocate of a lung cancer warrior, welcome.  I'm sorry you are here, but happy that you have found us.  

Unfortunately, you and your family are in for quite a roller coaster ride.  I don't know about you, but my mom's diagnosis was a punch in the gut.  Needless to say, I did not handle it well.  In fact, most of us on this site have had trouble wrapping our brains around the diagnosis as well.  You are in good company here.

I am under the assumption that you are probably trying to find decent information about what's to come next and how to be the best advocate for your mom. If that's the case, you have found a great resource.  Everyone here is a wealth of knowledge and LUNGevity's website is great.  If you haven't familiarized yourself with it, I suggest you do.  I suggest starting with Lung Cancer 101  here   and work your way through.  It's a lot of info and a steep learning curve, but knowledge is power.  Curt has some good questions about type of lung cancer/biopsy and biomarker testing.  If you are unfamiliar with those terms or your mom has not had the testing yet, all of that information is in Lung Cancer 101.

Finally, if you are looking/have looked at statistics, stop.  They are out of date, usually at least 5 years old.  My mom has been in the lung cancer world for 3.5 years now and this world has changed dramatically as far as testing and treatment options.  My mom is here and has no evidence of active lung cancer because of these advancements.  Lung cancer is no longer an absolute death sentence and all of the folks here are testaments to that.

So, once again, welcome and know that we are here for you.

Steff

Archived