Newly diagnosed

Michele Raasch

I was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer last month. It is stage 1 and not anywhere else in my body or brain. Is there any survivors of Small Cell on here? Doctor says its 80% curable and assured me I will live a long life. I'm already on my second round of chemo and started radiation yesterday. I am terrified, I will be only 48 on Halloween. Anyone please reassure me and tell me your survival stories from Smalm Cell Lung Cancer!!! Thank you all and God Bless!

Michele

Hi Michele,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but so happy you found this group.  LUNGevity has a lot of resources to help from in person events to peer-to-peer mentors.  Feel free to post as many questions as you have, everyone here is so supportive!

Hi @Michele Raasch.  I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I’m 43 and was diagnosed last February.  I was also terrified.  I had stage 1 non small cell Adenocarcinoma. Surgery is the only treatment I’ve had.  Stage 1 is very early and very treatable.   Hang in there.  

It is true that Small Cell Lung Cancer is more aggressive than none small cell.  I’ll also agree that the knowledge that there is a 20% chance you won’t be alive in five years is terrifying.  I was given an 85-90% chance of being alive in five years.  That means there is a 10-15% chance I won’t be.  Confronting any possibility of death is terrifying.  The fact that is was caught at Stage 1 for you is a reason to be optimistic.  You are also young which works in your favor.  Try to focus  on the 80% chance of survival.  The odds are in your favor.  There is an areas of this forum specific to small cell lung cancer.  You can find it here  https://forums.lungevity.org/forum/5-sclc-group/.  There may be some additional information you can find there.  

I’m reading a book right now called Anti Cancer Living by Lorenzo Cohen.  I’m only a few chapters in but have already found some ways that I can increase my quality of life generally and increase my chances of being in the 85-90% of those that survive.  

Hang in there.  It’s a tough emotional road but this is something that can be overcome.

Archived