first time chemo

Emmanuelle

I am in stage 2 lung cancer.  It did not spread. It was contained.  They removed my upper left lobe and I am recovering from that.  I am a little scared about chemo though.  I have no idea what to expect.  I hate throwing up.  Do the anti-nausea medication work?  I having 4 cycles separated by 21 days apart.  I don't like the fact I am starting with Coronavirus out there.  Can you shared some information.  Thank you. 

Hello Emmanuelle. Glad you found our site. Also great news that the cancer was contained. That's a win! Do you know what chemo drug(s) you'll be taking? Check out chemocare.com. The site provides a lot of information on drugs and side effects.

I had a couple of rounds of chemo. My first was Cisplatin and Alimta. I had nausea but the meds were pretty helpful. I had chemo on Fridays and felt good until Sunday afternoons (when the chemo steroids wore off). I had nausea until (usually) Wednesday morning. You'll have the same side effects at the same point in your chemo cycles. You probably won't have many side effects with your first treatment but they will show up for the 2nd. 

Do not be shy about asking your medical team for meds to deal with your side effects. We all react to chemo differently. Let us know how we can help you.

Welcome Emmanuelle,

I'm not feeling too well this morning. It seems like my C-5 & C-6 disks decided it was time to act up so I'll provide a brief answer.  Here is some information on chemotherapy that may help you.

Stay the course.

Tom

Emmanuel 

I too was more concerned about doing Chemo than the Surgery. I had my first round of Chemo last week and can happily report that it was pretty uneventful. In fact...getting the IV was relaxing. My mistake was to quit my nausea meds too soon. Had a bad case of acid reflux last night that kept me up all night, but started up on the meds again and feel great.

I have just started but there are others here who have done it all, some several times and they can give you some tips. This board has been a Godsend to me.

Wishing you the best

Peace

Tom

Thank you for your support.  I have been contacted by so many wonderful people  on advice and recommendation.  It is wonderful and it is greatly appreciated.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, Emmanuelle said:

I am in stage 2 lung cancer.  It did not spread. It was contained.  They removed my upper left lobe and I am recovering from that.  I am a little scared about chemo though.  I have no idea what to expect.  I hate throwing up.  Do the anti-nausea medication work?  I having 4 cycles separated by 21 days apart.  I don't like the fact I am starting with Coronavirus out there.  Can you shared some information.  Thank you. 

Archived