Still Fatigued...

Brian

I finished 6 weeks of chemo (1x week) at the end of January, and radiation (5x week) at the beginning of February. I started immunotherapy (durvalumab) two weeks after radiation ended. While I do have a ton more energy than I had on chemoradiation, I am still pretty fatigued, and I have some minor upper respiratory wheezing, which my onc thinks is likely due to inflammation from immuno, she told me if it got worse to let her know, it hasn't. I also feel like I'm breathing in cold air at the apex of a deep breath, the feeling is at the bottom of my throat, right below my adam's apple. Radiation did affect my throat for sure.

My questions are:

How long after radiation and chemo did you feel the side effects? If you had throat issues from radiation, how long did it take for that to go away?

I know fatigue is a side effect of durvalamub as well, and I know I'm only about 1.5 months out from finishing radiation, am I possibly going to get some more energy in another few weeks now that radiation is done?

The deep breath thing is mainly annoying when I yawn. Anyone else have this?

Brian,

How long after chemo-radiation for side effects to abate? My throat returned to normal about 3 weeks after my last radiation session.  Chemo side effects lasted about 10 days after last infusion. But everyone is different and your throat could have received more radiation than mine. I did not have a cold air sensation on deep breaths. 

Stay the course.

Tom 

• 5 months later...
On 3/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, Brian said:

I finished 6 weeks of chemo (1x week) at the end of January, and radiation (5x week) at the beginning of February. I started immunotherapy (durvalumab) two weeks after radiation ended. While I do have a ton more energy than I had on chemoradiation, I am still pretty fatigued, and I have some minor upper respiratory wheezing, which my onc thinks is likely due to inflammation from immuno, she told me if it got worse to let her know, it hasn't. I also feel like I'm breathing in cold air at the apex of a deep breath, the feeling is at the bottom of my throat, right below my adam's apple. Radiation did affect my throat for sure.

My questions are:

How long after radiation and chemo did you feel the side effects? If you had throat issues from radiation, how long did it take for that to go away?

I know fatigue is a side effect of durvalamub as well, and I know I'm only about 1.5 months out from finishing radiation, am I possibly going to get some more energy in another few weeks now that radiation is done?

The deep breath thing is mainly annoying when I yawn. Anyone else have this?

I don't have an answer, but sure would like to know what you experienced since March. It is now August and I am exactly where you were in September. I am getting ready for my second infusion of Imfinzi.

Hi JWP: Sorry for the lack of energy. I feel the same just from chemo and Keytruda. As for wheezing I had a lot of it for a while and discovered it was from heart burn caused by drinking strong coffee, spicy food or tomatoes.  I am not suggesting you have the same problem but it is worth exploring.

All the best.

6 hours ago, JWP said:

I don't have an answer, but sure would like to know what you experienced since March. It is now August and I am exactly where you were in September. I am getting ready for my second infusion of Imfinzi.

I'm feeling a lot better. It was a slow progression, but I feel like I'm at about 90%. I still have some wheezing, but since I have a massive growth in my right lung, it's just part of it.

My current fun is a very dry mouth. It began right before I restarted immunotherapy. I'm currently taking Salagen, which I started about 1.5 months ago, still no relief, but they say it could take as long as three months. Boooooo.

Hey Brian,

So good to hear from you!  You’ve had quite a ride these past few months and I’m thrilled to hear that you’re on the way back.  Keep you energy, enthusiasm and your Red Lung Rising sense of humor on turbo charge! 
Michelle

Archived