Lobectomy scars

Susan Cornett

Hello all! Hope this finds you all safe. I have a question for those of you who had a traditional lobectomy. I had my surgery 4+ years ago. I still have some numbness on my left side along my rib cage and weird nerve issues from my rib cage to my sternum - no problem. But recently I've become "aware" of the surgical scar on my back. Several weeks ago, my husband brushed his hand against it and I felt like someone was shocking me. The last couple of weeks it has felt like something pulling across my shoulder blade. Or, when sitting at my desk, I just feel the scar. Has anyone else experienced this? I know nerves can be tricky but it seems odd this long after surgery. 

Susan,

Unfortunately, I share your symptoms. My incision site is still painful, all of the time. And I have twitching and some involuntary movement. My last surgery was in 2004 and the pain management doc said I likely had permanent nerve damage. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

@Susan Cornett @Tom Galli I just came across this post.  This is good and bad news to me (sigh) - good that I'm not the only one (I have 24/7 pain - at the minimum "awareness", but mostly ranges from annoyance to pain everyday... although my surgery was only 2 years ago).  Bad that this probably won't go away. Oy.

Thanks for sharing.

MB

MB,

But I’ve developed techniques. First, I take 1,000 mg/day of Magnesium to address the low blood level, a side effect from too much chemo. This helps minimize muscle cramps. When I get one in the vicinity of incision scars, pain goes off the charts. Then there is the magic of lidocaine transducal patches applied to the scars and taped to stay in place. This knocks chronic incision pain back so most time allow sleep.

I have to always be mindful that I very fortunate. Pain is a small price considering the alternative. 

Stay the course.

Tom

I was lucky enough to have a VAT surgery but still experience the nerve issues a little over a year post surgery.  They get better then worse again.  I haven’t been able to figure out why sometimes they are ok and others they aren’t.  I’ve started to do core exercises to try and strengthen the area.  I’m not sure if that will help or hurt.  My surgeon just says maybe it will go away and maybe it won’t.

Archived