Surgery back on the table

TMC

My husband completes his second round of Chemo on Monday and 25 rounds of radiation tomorrow.  They re-scanned him yesterday and while he was at radiation this morning his doctor asked if he has talked to the surgeon.  My husband told him no, we have an appointment this afternoon...so the doctor told him that surgery WAS back on the table!  So I guess that means the tumor had not grown into the superior cava (which is why they initially took surgery off the table..the tumor was so large they couldn't get a clear visual with the other scans)

We will find out when we see the surgeon if he will be able to just take the upper lobe or if it's going to be the whole lung.  At this point, we are just excited that they will do the surgery and remove the cancer. 

T

Hello all,

Well they scheduled him for surgery on June 1.  He's a bit stressed because he was really hoping for just a lobe, but the surgeon said that he will have to remove the whole lung.  That really has my husband upset and worried.  I'm going to search this forum and see if I can find info to share with him about a pneumonectomy, hopefully that will give him more confidence.

blessing to all,

T

TMC,

I had my entire right lung removed after completion of first line chemo and radiation, like your husband.

I had a host of post surgical problems which were unique to my case but one that was not: expect his healing and recovery time to be stretched out because radiation complicates suture healing. I'm not trying to push my book (see signature) but in it I cover details of all my surgical challenges. You should consider my experience as "worst case" but may gain insight into challenges you both will face.

I need to stress however that my surgical complications were mostly due to where the suturing of the bronchus was located. Your husband's situation could be vastly different.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Just bought it!  My husband's diagnoses sounds like it is very much like yours.  Right lung, main bronchus etc... I think the book will be very helpful for us both.

T

Archived