EBUS biopsy tomorrow

EMandM

Hi all,

So after my PET scan yesterday (still waiting for results…) I have an EBUS biopsy on the right lung mass (MRI measured it as 3.4 x 2.6 x 4.2cm) scheduled for tomorrow.  (I also have a 2.3 x 3 cm in neighboring tissue, “infiltrating the right tip of my scapula” which “can represent metastasis”). Eek!

More than a little worried about it all. I didn’t realise I’d have to be awake for it. Yikes!! 😕 Does anyone have any advice on how to keep calm during the procedure?

Gini x

I could be wrong, but what I've read about EBUS is that is is done under moderate or general anesthesia.  I often have trouble with kidney stones and recently had to have a procedure where they put a tube and guide wire through my back and into my kidney in preparation for surgery the next day.  I was pretty worried because they said it would be moderate sedation and not general anesthesia.  Truth be told I didn't remember the procedure and felt no discomfort.  You may well have the same situation.  If you'd like you can call your doctor's office and ask about what type of sedation they will use.  I'm sure there is something and they can help you to feel more calm and comfortable about the procedure.  Going through these diagnostics is hard enough without additional worry about the procedures themselves.  If your doctor has a "patient portal" you could even ask your question that way.  Either way, it will more than likely put your mind at ease.

Lou

I had 2 biopsies (actually 4 biopsies, 2 for pleural effusions and 2 for lung nodules) done between Aug and Sept for right lung and left lung nodules. Just like you, I was scared and worry about the pain and being awake during the procedures. Even though they told me I will be semi awake during the procedures, the reality was I slept through all of them. 

It sounds kinda crazy, but I was kinda enjoyed them because when I woke up I felt very relaxing due to temporary relief of cancer stress prior to the procedures. There was no pain but I did get dry coughs for couple of hours afterward. It is not as scary as you think. You might even feel better afterward.

Gini,

I have to believe an invasive biopsy needs to be painless else the patient would move in reaction to the pain. I've had a few in my day and like Lou, didn't feel a thing.

Stay the course.

Tom

One more thing. Don’t forget to ask them to get enough samples for biomarker testing afterward. Sometime they only get enough samples to determine if tumors are cancerous. In my case, they only got enough samples (about 5 needle collections per tumor) to determine the tumor was cancerous and not enough extra samples to do biomarker testing afterward. 

Hope it went well and that your throat wasn’t too sore after. I was out for my EBUS; they used that drug Michael Jackson liked— proponal? They collected all kinds of tissue and sent it for testing. That took weeks but it’s giving helpful information that can be used now. I hope the same happens for you. 

Karen

I love propofol and insist on it for every general anesthesia procedure. The one time I forgot to request it I was sick as a dog after something else was used. Before my (rigid) bronchoscopy, I had a nice chat with the anesthesiologist, and he assured me I'd have a nice nap. 

Archived