Surgery for Stage 1v

Elaine

Reading through a few posts today, I noticed that some people who were NSCLC stage 4 had surgery. Oftentimes the DX was before year 2000. Is this something they just dont do anymore, or is it soley based on tumor location and respnse to chemo.

My onc said it just isn;t done at all anymore. Just checking

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I know there are some places that still do surgery at Stage IV. I know Ginny's husband Earl did. I think that it depends on the location and where the mets are. There's also RFA surgery that they do to the lungs for advanced cancer. This is apparently just as or if not more effective as surgery.

I think if there is a solatary brain met and no other mets, then surgery is an option.

Surgery may be an option for a single adrenal met. I'll try to post the references.

As natalie said RFA can be used for multiple lung tumors, even in different lobes and different sides

They didn't tell me in advance but later I ask what stage mine was and the oncologist said due to size and location it was stage iv. I had lung removed Feb 2002. was also referred back to thoraic surgeon in July 03 but he determined more surgery would not leave me with enough breathing capacity. What I am saying is yes I believe they do surgery on stage iv. I do hope you can get another more positive doctor.

Stage IV just means it spread to another organ...so if there is a smaller tumor in the other lung than from what I have learned, they can do surgery. Even when we were misinformed that my mom's cancer was stage IV they were going to do surgery since the tumors in each lung were in "good" places. You just need to find good doctors. They are out there. We are lucky to have found one of the best.