Latest CAT scan questions

Jill60

My latest CAT scan results came back and my Dr is on vacation. He said if there was anything alarming in the results, someone would call me. Results came back 5 days ago. So far no call. Thank God. The report said "stable small pancreatic tail hypodensity IPMN". "Newly seen nodular opacity infectious/inflammation". Nothing about the lymph nodes. Tumor has decreased a bit. Again Thank God. I've called the office twice to find out what this means and no return call. Of course I googled. I'm not freaking out but it would be nice to talk to a medical professional to tell me if I need to be concerned. Any help is appreciated.

Jill,

I'm happy to hear that the results look good, but pissed that nobody seems to be able to call you back.  Have you been forced to leave a voicemail?  Is everyone out of the office?  If so, that may be a signal to find a practice more reliable.  You deserve a call back.  I'm sure if the tables were reversed your doctor would be calling you until he got official word.  Keep the faith and I look forward to hearing confirmation that you are doing well.

Lou

I left a message with the oncology receptionist. This is in a major hospital. I don't think this would happen if my doctor wasn't on vacation. He called me himself twice in one week to answer my questions. 

Jill,

I'm not a radiologist nor a physician but have survived 19 years and read many scan reports. With that preamble in mind, let me help you understand the concerning language.

• "stable small pancreatic tail hypodensity IPMN": The pancreas has two parts, the head and the tail. Your scan speaks to a stable, small nodule found in the tail. Small and stable are the keywords. 
  • "Newly seen nodular opacity infectious/inflammation": A new discovery but where is it? Regardless, the radiologist is characterizing it as infection or inflammation as a cause. It will likely be noted and tracked by your oncologist in future scans.

Nothing about lymph nodes is great news and the tumor decreasing in size means your treatment is working, so more good news.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom & Lou are on the money. I’d want to know how big this nodule is, as well. 
The good news is that the newly seen thing is not being described as a potential met.

And I’m with Lou. Major hospital or not, your calls need to be returned. Have you asked who’s covering for your doc? Me, I’’d call the oncology receptionist daily— and very nicely— until I got someone on the doc’s team or department to call you back. You could look online for the name of an associate and see if you can speak to him/her.

Do not let them subtly bully or shame you about asking for information. It’s very nice that your doc said they would call with anything concerning, but those are the processes that meet their needs as an institution, not yours as an individual. (I was recently on a call with insurance. The person brought up something unrelated to my question and I said, “I understand that you have this issue, but my concern hasn’t been addressed. We’re not opening some new topic until mine has.” I would feel very nervous but OK telling my oncologist my needs might not be typical, but they are mine, and therefore an important part of my care. 

Finally, I suggest you be sure to follow up on this pancreas thing. Sounds like it’s been noted before, but it’s always good to ask.  (I ask about every single thing in a radiology report.)

Keep us posted.

K

Just an update. I did call again on Tuesday and the receptionist said that she would make sure a doctor called me that day. The doctor did call in the afternoon and I told her this was the third phone call in a week and she said this was the first message she received. At first I thought BS, but then I remember in the first two phone calls the receptionist was leaving a message for the nurse. So I assume it's the nurse had dropped the ball. Anyway the doctor said no there is nothing alarming. A small cyst on the pancreas which she said very rarely turns to cancer but of course they will watch it on my scans anyway. Lymph nodes have not increased in size. And the doctor suggested I call patient relations to let them know what happened, which I did and they said they would investigate.

Jill,

I like good news and I'm so glad for you.  Also sticking to your guns and now you should speak to those who can correct the kind of situation you faced here.  If you choose to stay with this team you need to also speak with your doctor.  Let him know what happened and that in the future you don't want to be in that situation again.

Lou