Mom might start target therepy tomorrow?

Kelvin4426

Hey guys so my mom has an appointment tomorrow to talk about her starting target therepy I'm fairly certain. She has stage 3b egfr mutation non smoker and completed her chemoradiation last year and stopped immunotherapy after one month as she couldn't handle it. Her scan after treatment showed that the tumors in her lung shrunk to a point where you cam barley see it but had another scan and found something odd in the lungs. She also had pain in ger lower back and legs where doctors thought it was just a nerve and would heal on her own but after having another CT scan 2 months later found out there was a tumor pinching on her sciatic nerveband had a 1 time radiation last week to shrink it so it doesn't touch the nerve. She now has a appt with her doctor to talk about next steps and mentioned she would be taking a pill. I'm fairly certain it will be target therepy as she is egfr positive so I wanted to hear urbguys story with target therepy to help me calm down and if you had target therepy after chemoradiation. My mom is 1 year into this disease and hoping for many more

Kelvin,

Sorry to hear that your Mom couldn't handle the immunotherapy, but I'm glad that there are other options available to her.  So many of the survivors here have had very good results with targeted therapy.  You may want to take a look at our EGFR forum it can be found here.  In the meantime please know that we are all pulling for the best possible outcome for her.  Please continue to keep us updated on her progress.

Lou

OK so just got back from the doctor's and was told there was signs that the cancer is coming back :( she will start tagrisso hopefully tomorrow after she gets results from her ecg. Would love stories of your experience with tagrisso and also stories of experience with a recurrence and how it was dealt with

Sorry to hear. Tagrisso is an easy drug compared to chemo, many people have no side effects at all. I do unfortunately have quite a bit of side effects, and they can cause trouble in daily life (diarrhea, skin and nail issues, fatigue, dry mouth/eyes, muscle cramps) but not everyone gets them. Make sure your mom gets prescriptions for the side effects whenever possible and fill them before she starts taking Tagrisso so she has solutions if she gets the side effects. 

Also, they should check her blood and ECG regularly as Tagrisso rarely causes quite serious side effects. Finally, she should drink a lot of water, maybe also some electrolytes if needed. Wishing her the best.

1 minute ago, LilyMir said:

Sorry to hear. Tagrisso is an easy drug compared to chemo, many people have no side effects at all. I do unfortunately have quite a bit of side effects, and they can cause trouble in daily life (diarrhea, skin and nail issues, fatigue, dry mouth/eyes, muscle cramps) but not everyone gets them. Make sure your mom gets prescriptions for the side effects whenever possible and fill them before she starts taking Tagrisso so she has solutions if she gets the side effects. 

Also, they should check her blood and ECG regularly as Tagrisso rarely causes quite serious side effects. Finally, she should drink a lot of water, maybe also some electrolytes if needed. Wishing her the best.

Thank you @LilyMir r u still experiencing these side effects as I know you started ur first treatment about a year ago if I'm not mistaken after your surgery? How was the results been for you have u been Ned ever since?

I started Tagrisso last Fall. Yes side effects continue, some come and go, some are continuous. I am taking Tagrisso as an adjuvant and so far remain NED since surgery, fingers crossed.

Tagrisso seems to be a great drug but targeted therapies all suffer from resistance (cancer mutates so that is is not affected by it). Sometimes this resistance happens fast, sometimes it takes many years, and sometimes never. If that happens, there are newer drug combinations being investigated and they advise a repeat biopsy to see what new mutation popped up in case it is already targetable.