feeling very scared

gaylepc

I have now had a PET scan and am scheduled for a bronchoscopy this Friday the 16th. I will probably not know any results from the PET scan until Thursday, or even after the bronchoscopy. The CAT scan showed I had moderate to severe emphysema as well, but still don't know cancer status.

I am feeling very frightened of the bronchoscopy procedure itself. Is that a generally safe procedure? The pulmonologist says they will be taking samples to biopsy during that procedure.

Ever since this all started with the coughing up some blood, I have been pretty much in some level of terror. My Dr. has put me on  .5 Xanax 3X a day for now, and it helps, but when it wears off the terror of all of this comes roaring back. I wish so much I had quit smoking years ago, and keep beating myself up over it endlessly.

I am rambling, forgive me. It's a very scared day.

Does anyone have any words of comfort about the bronchoscopy procedure?

Sure.... First of all you're getting closer to an answer.  Once you get an answer they can start appropriate treatment.  Sounds like you're in a similar boat as me.  I appear to have some type of lung issue (assuming COPD or autoimmune ILD) on top of the question of early stage lung cancer.  So I have some understanding of where you are even while not being able to step into your shoes.  

Many bronchoscopies are done in pulm's offices - not even in surgery centers.  that would not happen if they weren't safe and fairly low risk.  I've known folks who have had these, including two sisters.  Both did very well.  My oldest sister (only one still living) was diagnosed with severe emphysema with PFT's, 6 min walk test and I'm sure the bronchoscopy part of that diagnosis.  My younger sister was diagnosed with MAC (lung infection) as a result of hers.  She also had lung cancer - diagnosed Stage 4 at the time of diagnosis so very different situation than yours.

Thankfully, it's just days away now for you so focus on that.  I think these things are worse the longer people have to wait - the anxiety.  Also, if the 0.5 mg Xanax 3 times per day is not holding you there are a number of options for anxiety these days - including non-benzo's while I'm not against benzo's.  Maybe ask your doc about other options.  Exercise and/or walks for relaxation and mindfulness can help too.... Hang in there and keep us updated.  Best to you on Friday!!!

Sorry you're going through this. I know it's tough.  A bronchoscopy is extremely safe but there are small risks. they should go over them with you if  they have not. Usually the worst is a sore throat. Maybe just feel icky.  

The pulmonologist that does it will have read your PET.  If you want you can ask them about it but I would advise against it until After your procedure if you haven't had access to it by then.

When I get a scam I go from the cancer center to the main hospital to get a copy of the scan .  I then read it myself and wait for the radiologists report.  The pictures are available just the radiologist may take time to read it.

If they're doing it in the hospital they could be doing a Rapid On Site Evaluation ROSE, where they do a preliminary evaluation right there and then.  No waiting.  You will still get a pathology report with histology  after that.  Just make sure if God forbid it be comes back malignant they send it out for genetic profiling .

Fear is perfectly normal.  I have a prescription for Xanax that I may not use but I still keep them handy. Has my biopsy 4 years ago and I still will find a sense of dread momentarily just wash over me. 

If it does come back malignant it's not the same lung cancer we grew up knowing.  Treatments have come a long way in the last few years.  For many it becomes closer to a chronic disease than a terminal illness.  4 years ago this week I went from stage IV with 12 to 18 month prognosis to end stage with 4 to 6 months. Today  I'm in complete remission and intend to stay that way.

edivebuddy, your post is really encouraging. Thank you.

The Dr. has said she will be doing genetic profiling on it. This waiting and its attendant anxiety is so tough, but then I know everyone on this site has felt the same thing and gotten through it.

Thank you for being here and having such great advice of things to do and test for, it really helps!

Sorry you are going thru this. My PET scan lit up and I had a bronchoscopy with biopsy. The procedure it’s self was a piece of cake. I did have a sore throat for a few days and coughed up a tiny bit of blood. My doctor sent the biopsies during my procedure and had preliminary results of malignancy which he told my husband as I went to recovery. Please try not to stress but I know that is easier said than done. Wishing you an easy procedure. I also hear you about the quiting smoking…as soon as I got my diagnosis I quit.