FATHER DIAGNOSED MARCH 7TH

Guest CMEANDK

Guest CMEANDK

HELLO-

MY FATHER WAS DIAGNOSED IN MARCH WITH SCLC. HE HAS REALLY JUST STARTED RADIATION AND CHEMO. THE MRI FOUND MORE IN HIS SPINE. THERE ISN'T ANY IN HIS BRAIN. IT HAS ALL BEEN A BIT OVERWHELMING. THE THINGS YOU READ ON THE INTERNET ARE HORRIBLE AND THE DOCTOR WILL NOT ANSWER A DIRECT QUESTION. IF IT HAS SPREAD TO HIS SPINE, DOES THAT MEAN IT IS EXTENSIVE? EVERYTHING I'VE READ SAYS IT DOES.

MY DAD WILL NOT QUIT WORK. HE WORKS FROM 8-3 THEN GOES TO RADIATON,THEN HE COMES HOME AND SLEEPS. I JUST CALLED HIM ON HIS LUNCH BREAK AND HE WAS SLEEPING IN HIS TRUCK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OR WHO TO TALK TO.

HELP

Guest peggyd

You can always talk to us via this website. The support I have found on this site is awesome. And has really helped me through a very tough journey.

If Dad feels like he is well enough to work, let him do it. Its probably the best thing for him right now. It might help him think about things other than his cancer. I know it helped my husband to continue to work (even though it was only part time as he was officially retired.) It gave him an out, some normal time in a very un-normal period. He took trips, he did whatever he could to continue living his normal life. Actually Mike did that for almost a year. It was only the last three weeks of his life where he was really sick.

Our prayers are with you and your Dad. And remember, you can always come here. The support you get from this site will be a true blessing.

I lost my Dad to lung cancer, and now my mom has SCLC. My Dad worked up until the day he died and out lived the doctors' expectancy three fold. Rest is good, but some people need to be out if possible. That was my Dad. We just supported him and made sure he was safe.I will remember you both in my prayers.

Soccermom

So sorry we had to meet this way, but I am glad you found us. There is a lot of support here. I was Dxed while unemployed. I wish I was employed, as it would keep my mind off of my troubles. I have the energy to work--maybe not run a marathon, but.... so if you're dad wants to work, he probably should and will feel better about doing so.

Elaine

I'm sorry you had to seek us out, but very glad you found us. Others will have to answer the question about the staging and such of SCLC since mine is NSCLC, but I do have a personal observation about being able to work.

I would give almost anything I own to get out of this 47" scooter I use (though I'm VERY glad to have it since I need it) and get back behind the wheel of the 41 FOOT bus I used to drive. For men especially (and men of my generation in particular) much of our self worth is wrapped up in what we do for a living each day. If your father can work, my opinion is let him.

As for what you've read on the internet ... ok, you've read it ... now forget it! Don's wife Lucie is only one of MANY here on this baord who beat the "odds" day in and day out. (though I have to admit that some of the folks here are pretty "odd" in and of themselves! :))

Stick in there and stick with the folks on this board. The road ahead can be REALLY bumpy, but having other folks around taking the same ride can sure smooth it out a bit.

Dean

Hi,

Glad that you found us. You can talk, vent, scream, cry with us here. This message board was created just for that and more. Understandably you are feeling confused and alarmed but after a while you will begin to be able to take things in stride. You will get a lot of information from this board, please come often and ask lots of questions.

Theresa

I have been living with SCLC since June 6, 2003 and I have worked just about every day since dx. If he can work and feels like it, go for it. In my case I am a single person and carry my insurance through my employer so I NEED to work if I can. They have been more than wonderful about giving me extra time off for appointments and treatment, etc. Makes life seem a little more "normal" I guess by getting up each morning and going to work. I am afraid if I had to stay home I would go crazy inside a week. Never have been a stay at home type person, even when my kids were small.

As far as his stage, sclc is either limited or extensive and once it is outside the lung it is considered extensive. That is not to say it can not be treated and beaten! Mine was caught early as limited but has since spread out to my lymph nodes and liver. I am having good luck with the chemo I am on and we hope to get it back in to at least a stable mode.

I will be praying for your Dad.

God Bless,

MO

In small cell lung cancer it can be considered extensive stge if the mets have spread far from the original tumor site. In my husbands case he was diagnosed at first with limited because it was one tiny spot in the lungs and one tumor on the chest wall. He was not considered extensive until 6 months later when it spread to his adrenal glands. He worked everyday for 19 months and then retired the first of this year, Working is definately therapeutic for most people. Welcome to the board. We will be happy to help any way we can.

Hi, CMEANDK. This board offers wonderful support. Let your dad know how to find us!

I would consider it a good sign if your dad's dr. is not shoving a "time" at him. The fact is, they don't really know. It depends on how your dad's tumors respond to chemo. Many people do very well for a long time.

If your dad wants to continue working, that's great. Keeping life as "normal" as possible helps many people cope with an overwhelming diagnosis. Offer him love and encouragement, and visit here as often as you need to.

Guest Karen C.

With SCLC, it's either limited or extensive. I think if your Dad's has spread to his spine it's extensive (sorry, Don, but I think the Staging doesn't apply to SCLC but it does to NSCLC).

My husband Dave has/had limited SCLC (he's in remission as far as we know!) and he was determined to work as long as he could. But his employer has a decent short term and long term disability policy and he got approved for it as well. As he progressed through his treatments he got more and more tired and went from full time to part time hours to eventually not working at all for several months, then eased back into part time hours, now has been working full time for a month or so but has to take a day off every now and then when he's tired.

If your Dad wants to work I wouldn't worry about it. If it means taking a nap in his truck I think that's OK. After being in treatments for a while, his body may not LET him work. I worried about Dave at first, I didn't think he should even try to work, but it is best for a person to do as much as they can. Dave's oncologist told him he needed to get up and get out of the house every day - do something - not to sit down and shrivel up and die. He's right and sometimes it just keeps a person's spirits up and keeps 'em going. A positive attitude and a strong support system is the key to beating this monster.

But, like everyone here has said, having extensive SCLC is NOT a death sentence. This board is full of survivors and people like MO who keep on going and working. And look at Don's wife, she has NSCLC in a more advanced stage and now she's helping counsel other lung cancer patients!

Keep a positive attitude, stay informed, and help your Dad do the same.

God Bless and stay with us here,

Karen C.

(David C's wife)

If he FEELS HE is able to work let him. Do not try to get him to stop. Most people know their limits and when he hits them he will more than likely stop. I would love to go back to work, I just can work in a busy ER anymore so I have my volunteer groups I do. Slower pace ya know :roll:

As for the diagnosis-with SCLC if it has spread to a further region-example:adrenal, liver bone etc then it is extensive. With SCLC it is either extensive or limited. With the NSCLC it can be staged I II III IV. Main thing is if he feels like doing something GO for it. The day may come (Heaven forbid) that he may not feel up to going to work everyday.

Come back often, lots of great people here and lots of advice, sometimes it isn't even asked for (HA :roll: Ha)

Cindy